• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Turning Radius Question

sbolejack

Loc.
Rogers, AR
Not sure if this is just an issues with Broncos or if there is something that can be adjusted to fix it? I recently installed the 3.1 quick ratio steering box from Tom's, but also noticed it with the stock box I removed. When turning to the left I need 40 acres to make a turn but when turning to the right the thing turns on a dime.

Is there something that can be adjusted to fix this????

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Have you checked the steering stops on your knuckles?

vuke

Loc.
Red Bank, NJ
try shortening up the drag link. I had the same problem with mine. Pull the drag link off the pitman arm, center the tires, center the steering box, and then adjust the draglink in or out until it goes straight up into the pitman arm. Or if you want to make sure that you can turn left all the way for u turns turn the tires all the way to the left, put the box all the way to the left and adjust the draglink there.

OP
OP
sbolejack

sbolejack

Loc.
Rogers, AR
69Bronc said:
Have you checked the steering stops on your knuckles?

Anyway for you to post a picture of what I would be looking for? Still learning what all the parts and pieces are called.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
The draglink attaches the pitman (bottom of the steering box) to the tie-rod (what attaches the two wheels together)

Simply put, it's out of adjustment since you changed things up. The good news is that it should be a simple and money free fix. ;D

Devin

Bronco Kineticist

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Also check to see if the linkage is bottoming out on anything. Things like a steering stabilizer that isn't installed right and bottoms or topps out at the wrong time. Also check the shock mounts. I have seen a tierod hit a double shock mount once and limit travel.

ProjectBronco70

Loc.
Tennessee
I don't want to hijack but with my stock manual steering box my 35's rubbed the radius arms when at full lock left and right. I put on a new power steering box from Tom's and now they never rub. I'm assuming the new power steering box has less of a turning radius then the manual box?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
ProjectBronco70 said:
I don't want to hijack but with my stock manual steering box my 35's rubbed the radius arms when at full lock left and right. I put on a new power steering box from Tom's and now they never rub. I'm assuming the new power steering box has less of a turning radius then the manual box?

That is very possible. When I did my junkyard PS conversion I ended up welding 2 pitman arms together. Actually I had someone who is a lot more qualified then myself do it. One reaso was to get the right taper for the draglink. The other was to get the pitman arm to have enough throw to get the wheels from lock to lock. Someday I will pull it off and send it to a machine shop and have one built that is made from 1 piece of metal.