• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ampmeter question

ochretoe

Loc.
Millington
I just replaced my alt. and voltage regulator and battery(battery swap was two weeks ago). Now my amp meter has a very big swing from center at idle to far right while giving it gas. When highbeams and radio are on it moves about about a third of the way left. Befor there was very little movement but enought o show what was happening. I guess the question is, Is it right now or was it working right befor the alt./regulator replacement?
Steve

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
This is to be expected right after you start the engine.
Does it do it even after the battery has had time to re-charge from starting the engine?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sounds like it's working right most alternators dont start charging unitl about 1400 rpm so that could be where your big swing comes in once accesories are on the swing is less because they are taking some of the power.

OP
OP
ochretoe

ochretoe

Loc.
Millington
bronko69er said:
This is to be expected right after you start the engine.
Does it do it even after the battery has had time to re-charge from starting the engine?

Battery is not recharged yet. I'll watch it a while and see if it settles down with a full charge.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
After the battery is fully charger it should swing to the charge side for a few moments after start up (to recharge the battery) then settle at the 0 position.

Note that if you mounted anything directly to the positive batter terminal the amp meter will show a charge when ever that item is in use. For example if you mount headlight relays to the battery, when you turn the headlight on the amp meter will show a charge equeal to the draw of the headlights and the rate of charge of the battery. If the battery is fully charged the amp meter will just show the draw of the headlight.

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
broncnaz said:
Sounds like it's working right most alternators dont start charging unitl about 1400 rpm so that could be where your big swing comes in once accesories are on the swing is less because they are taking some of the power.
That might be 1400 rotor rpm, which is only about 500 engine rpm. Otherwise you have a problem.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Kinda what I meant usaully at idle the alts not spinning fast enough to charge once you up the engine rpm then it usually starts charging ie the jump in your alt gauge needle. I'm not well versed on actual speed the alt is turning to make the power. as pulleys sizes change the speeds.

OP
OP
ochretoe

ochretoe

Loc.
Millington
Broncobowsher said:
After the battery is fully charger it should swing to the charge side for a few moments after start up (to recharge the battery) then settle at the 0 position.

Note that if you mounted anything directly to the positive batter terminal the amp meter will show a charge when ever that item is in use. For example if you mount headlight relays to the battery, when you turn the headlight on the amp meter will show a charge equeal to the draw of the headlights and the rate of charge of the battery. If the battery is fully charged the amp meter will just show the draw of the headlight.

Battery is charged and everything has settled down and looks good. Thanks for the help.