• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Chirping Bronco, WTFO?

Mikey

Bronco Guru
Recently, my Bronco began chirping like a feaking bird. Happens only at acceleration under a load and seems a bit worse when cold. I'm assuming either belts or exhaust leak. Seems to come from the back of the engine, driver's side. Belts are new, but broken in, seem tight. Exhaust bolts are all tight and no obvious cracks or gasket blow outs.

Oh yea...I have a fairly stock 302 with C4.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure it's an elusive exhaust leak. I plan on changing to headers this spring so I don't plan on changing gaskets right now to chase this problem.

Any other ideas?

Maybe I can cruise through a bird preserve and see how many birds become amorous with the old Bronc! ;D

Broncobowsher

Total hack
How are your U-joints? When dry they can chirp like a bird, worse under load. At this point gease is too late. May hide the noise but the innards will already be shot by now.

OP
OP
M

Mikey

Bronco Guru
U-joints are about a year old....Spicers. I packed 'em with grease. CVs are old, though. Packed those when I put in the new U-joints.

Sounds like it's coming from the engine compartment rather than underneath and not that far back.

Thanks, though. Hmmmmmmmm.....

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Did you get the centering ball on the CV as well. It's the 3rd grease fitting on the CV that isn't either of the U-joints. Often overlooked and I have destroyed one myself due to lack of maintance/ignorance of it.

OP
OP
M

Mikey

Bronco Guru
Broncobowsher said:
Did you get the centering ball on the CV as well. It's the 3rd grease fitting on the CV that isn't either of the U-joints. Often overlooked and I have destroyed one myself due to lack of maintance/ignorance of it.

I think so....is it the one that requires the needle fitting to the grease gun?

OP
OP
M

Mikey

Bronco Guru
scsm76 said:
If his is a auto check your torque converter bolts.

It's a C4. Why would the torque converter bolts being loose cause a chirping sound? I'm intrigued as this is about the right area....back of the engine driver's side. It's hard to locate exactly where as it's very very faint when not under a load and manually revving the engine while listening under the hood. It's somewhere around the valve cover to steering column and power brake area.

crazymofo97

Loc.
Crosby.MN
My Uncle had the same problem with his bronco. After he whent wheeling in Gilbert, MN he had a cherping nose coming from the engine. He looked into it and found out he spun a berring on his crankshaft. The noise you here might be an early warning or a possible problem. Also dose the noise get faster in repition as the motor rpms get faster? Might be worth a look.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
Why would the torque converter bolts being loose cause a chirping sound?

The last trip I took, a Heep in the group was making a chirping then turned to a clicking and it turned out to be the torque converter bolts were loose. Just throwing out things to check.

mrw

Loc.
MassHole
My wife took her 79 Bronk wheeling last month and got that chirping sound. It is one of the u-joints in the front axle but sounds like it's further back. I keep driving it around town until it gets bad enough to readily identify which one. Most likely yours is a u-joint as they are wear parts.

An easy way to check is to pull the front driveshaft and drive it around. If the noise is gone it's the double cardon or the diff side joint. If not it might be one of the axle joints. You might even find out which one while you're pulling it. If it's not the front driveshaft it only cost you an hour or so and you crossed a possibility off the list.

Good luck!

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
So, You dont actually have to be moving down the road to hear this chirping noise?

Does it change pitch when you put it into gear?

I would be checking exhaust leaks, and torque converter nuts. Check your throttle linkage too, it can squeak if it needs oil on the pivot points. Mechanical fuel pumps can chirp too when they are getting ready to quit working.

OP
OP
M

Mikey

Bronco Guru
It will very faintly chirp if I rev the engine with my hand while under the hood. Not the front U joint as it's not turning while the front stick is in neutral. I'm pretty sold on exhuast noise but can look at the converter bolts.

crazymofo97...Don't scare me like that!!! I HOPE it's not a spun bearing.

Chirps louder under load...not so much faster.

NorCalBronco

Contributor
I had this same problem, I thought it was a exhaust leak that I couldn't find also. My motor was pretty old and it turned out that I had to retorque the intake manifold, so you might want to check that :)

OP
OP
M

Mikey

Bronco Guru
NorCalBronco said:
I had this same problem, I thought it was a exhaust leak that I couldn't find also. My motor was pretty old and it turned out that I had to retorque the intake manifold, so you might want to check that :)

Intake manifold!?!?!? :eek: Really! Wow! would've never thought of that! Makes good sense as I installed a Mustang GT aluminum intake last year and the gaskets may have relaxed a bit...just enough to chirp!

Thanks!
Mikey

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
is the exhaust rubbing metal somewhere. The chirp is metal on metal. If a bracket is loose or moved it will caise it. It also would make it worse under load when motor is shifting over.

OP
OP
M

Mikey

Bronco Guru
SteveL said:
is the exhaust rubbing metal somewhere. The chirp is metal on metal. If a bracket is loose or moved it will caise it. It also would make it worse under load when motor is shifting over.

I'll have a look this weekend. Gotta change rear axle bearings on my 86 Capri. Finally started making noise after 266,000 miles! Original 5.0L and AOD!
;D

OP
OP
M

Mikey

Bronco Guru
Well, I tightened my intake bolts and also found one of my exhaust pipes riding against the radius arm brackets. So, I got a crow bar and pried the pipes a little bit away from the bracket. Now, most of the time, no more chirping. Once in awhile it does so I guess I might need to pry some more!

Thanks!!!
Mikey