• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Does a D44 use a crush sleeve?

BroncoMarc

Loc.
BroncOhio
I'm in the process of moving everything over to my new D44 housing after I cracked my old housing

The old setup didn't have a crush sleeve in it. Does the D44 use one? I'm starting to tighten the pinion nut and it isn't spinning as freely as I would expect. Just want to make sure I didn't miss a piece.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No crush sleeve in the D44..the pinion bearing spacing and preload relies on shims. You should have very little pinion preload torque, if any, when reusing old bearings. You need to work from 'loose'..i.e. too many shims installed..toward the correct preload by removing shims. Maximum torque preload with new bearings is only 15 inch-pounds too.

How tight is the pinion nut now ?(it must be tightened well over 100 ft-lbs to obtain a decent estimate of the bearing preload..but do NOT tighten it that much if you already have too much preload as it is).

OX1

Bronco Guru
BroncoMarc said:
I'm in the process of moving everything over to my new D44 housing after I cracked my old housing

The old setup didn't have a crush sleeve in it. Does the D44 use one? I'm starting to tighten the pinion nut and it isn't spinning as freely as I would expect. Just want to make sure I didn't miss a piece.

It uses shims for bearing preload. These are different than the pinion depth shims under the pinion race (I assume you reset pinion depth and backlash). I would expect the pinion bearing pre-load shims to be different between housings. You need to add or subtract shims until you get the required "dragging" torque when the nut is fully tight. Or if you don't have an inch-lb torque wrench and you really feel like you can take a swag at how tight it should be, you can mess with the pre-load shims until you get a "good" feel (or an acceptable end play). Again acceptable is something you can feel if you've messed with enough diff's. Highly recommend the torque wrench if your asking this question though.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Like they said, The EB dana 44 does not use a crush sleave, but a few other 44's do. So if the install kit comes with a crush sleve, just toss it.

OX1

Bronco Guru
welndmn said:
Like they said, The EB dana 44 does not use a crush sleave, but a few other 44's do.

Really??, I've only dealt with fords 44's (and mostly only 70-96, 44 fronts). What 44's used crush sleeves??

OP
OP
BroncoMarc

BroncoMarc

Loc.
BroncOhio
I found this diagram which shows a crush sleeve: http://sierrabronco.com/dana44.htm

I'm going by this chart for setup specs : http://www.differentials.com/specsi.html (Excellent chart!)

The only shims that I took out of the old housing were the pinion depth shims. (between the inner race and housing). Where would the preload shims go? How would shims set the preload? Looking at the diagram I could only really see the torque of the nut setting preload.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Like Ox, I have never yet found a crush sleeve in a D44 and I have rebuilt more of them than I would care to count..but have heard that they (Dana) used them in some. The shims go between the inner side of the outer bearing and the shoulder on the pinion shaft.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I also have never seen one in a Dana 44 and I stopped counting how many I set up many years ago. I.E. I've never seen them in a Ford, Jeep, Scout, Chevy, or Dodge Dana 44 and I've set them up in all of them.

BTW, While that diagram says crush sleeve the picture actually shows shims.

You will also need more than just the chart above to set the gears up. You also need to set the depth. Here is a decent set of instructions from Randy's Ring and Pinion: http://ringpinion.com/downloads/yukoninstman.pdf

welndmn

Bronco Guru
The 60's and some 70's Jeep rear 44's had crush sleve's, I also have done a waggy 44 (not sure on the year, passenger side drop) had a crush sleave.
Also I just did an Issuzu 44 that used one as well.
I've never seen one in a Ford app 44 though, but I was told the 70's f100 that used a rear 44 have one, but I've never seen one.