• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

steering problems

steelframingone

guys,
ihave 77 3.5 lift 33 tires p.s. i have about a 2 inch play in steering wheel. i have a steering sabilizer. is there any aftermarket product to cure this? when windy its back and forth. nice road nice day its ok.
any suggestions??
thanks

70_Steve

Old Guy
steelframingone said:
guys,
ihave 77 3.5 lift 33 tires p.s. i have about a 2 inch play in steering wheel. i have a steering sabilizer. is there any aftermarket product to cure this? when windy its back and forth. nice road nice day its ok.
any suggestions??
thanks
OK, first things first. Take off the steering stabilizer. It's really not necesary, and only tends to mask problems. Then, while you're laying on your back under the Bronco, have someone move the steering wheel back and forth. You will be able to spot, almost immediately, where the problem is. It could be almost anything. Worn rag joint in the steering shaft, worn steering box. Worn rod ends at either end of the drag link or tie-rod. Worn track bar bushings.

Kaw-Liga

Loc.
Palm Coast, FL
The steering box could be moving on the frame itself due to cracks in/weak frame rail. My was like that so I cut a 1/4" steel plate and ran the steering box bolts though the box, frame, and plate-like a frame sandwhich. Make sure to get the plate perfectly flush against the frame though, I had to weld in a small metal shim(maybe 1/8") cant see the shim so it looks fine and it really snuged everything up great.

Rob

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Also. 2" of play in the steering isn't much considering that it is a 30 year old truck.

And I wouldn't toss that stabilizer away too fast. It is really a steering camper. it dampens sudden shocks to the steering box allowing the box to live longer.

Having someone turn the steering wheel a little while looking things over is always a good idea. you should see movement going into a part and movement coming out. when that doesn't happen, then that is your problem. Don't forget to look at the track bar and its brackets.

Like I said, this is a 30 year old truck, not a new car. Even new the steering probably wasn't super tight.