• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Raised & Wrapped Rear Tank Photos...

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
When I stretched the rear axle back 4" I decieded to move the crossmember back 4" as well to help clear the massive D70.

I was going to move the tank back and plate the bottom but got a crazy idea. I ended up cutting a hole in the bed, added a 3/16" bent plate thats welded on top of the new crossmember for the tank to rest on. It wasn't easy to bend 3/16" sheet metal so I took down a few cold ones and got another crazy idea. I took the plate and clamped it to the top of my 6' tall press and used a come-a-long to bend it. Yep, the beer must have been workin... ;D
But it worked and I should have taken photos. Every ratchet felt like the hook could slip and take my head off!
Many more beers later with more crazy ideas I deceided to plate the sides, front, back and made another bent plate for the top. So basically I made a HD tank that surrounds my tin can stock tank. The tank is held down by the 2" wide 1/8" strap you see in the photos with a rubber linner under the tank to help wear over the years.
Anyway, I know 3/16" is overkill but thats what I had laying around and I will be adding a rear seat just above it some day. :p Bomb proof eh?
I'm in the process of welding tabs to top and sides so I can bolt the top to it for easy removal. I think all the metal must weigh close to 100# :-X, more traction!

Yes, thats a 3/8" think diff cover you see!:D

ochretoe

Loc.
Millington
That is tank protection!!!! my god you could use it as a jacking point. Nice work, glad you didn't get hurt.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Nice fab work! You know....you could have just bought a fuel cell. ;D

OP
OP
68 Broncoholic

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
I looked into fuel cells but didn't want to spend the cash. Especially after adding up what I've put into it lately. :eek: Good thing the wife wasn't around :p .
I heard of a Company (?) that sells the balls that go into stock tanks to block off fuel spill. Anyone know of them?

Anyway, I love to do metal work and had the plate so what the hell right? A few reasons why I wrapped it is... In a roll over I don't want the body to smash/cut into it being between the body. The body has frame tie-in's so I doubt that could happen but I plan on adding a rear seat above it. This might sound weird but its better than the thin floor boards that are protecting us now. The top plate has a special Intumesent Gasket (which I sell) to seal from fire. This gasket flashes 10 times its size with heat. We use it on doors to pass fire test ratings. I'm also going to mount my spare tire off of it at a 45* angle. So basically the 38" tire will fill in where the tailgate was.
Its sunny in Seattle, maybe I'll take some photos of the rig for a change...

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
At first I was concerned for you, having the tank actually in the passenger area. Once I looked at the pics, though, and saw that nice plate cover you made, concern's gone. Nice work and better protection that stock I'd have to think, especially with the gasket you describe. You won't fit too many groceries back there, like I have to, but it doesn't look like you're building a grocery getter anyway. Love to see more pics!

Dan