• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bilsteins-what length and wherre to buy?

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
Planning on replacing the Ranchos with Bilstein shocks. How do I determine which travel length is correct and if I need the regular or the short body shocks? I would like to use the remove resevoir style, have to it admit it is mostly for the 'style';D factor as I doubt I will ever wheel at speeds that require the remote. I have the WH long travel hoops on the front. For the rear I do have the WH long travel hoop setup to install but may go with the Cage style rears to avoid cutting into the body. One shock per corner, possibly duals up front but probably not necessary. 3-1/2" lift.

Where have you guys been purchasing these shocks, a search on here turned up a couple sources but first hand experience would be a plus.

Thanks, Walt

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
I also have 3.5 inch lift.

I did get mine from Lee at race shocks and I am running 5125 for the rears. The fronts are 7100's, 12 inch short body external resevior's. The problem with the fronts is I orded internal resevior with the standard 12 inch body and it only gave me 3 inches of down travel.

You need to go with an external resevior to get the short body shocks to increase the up and down travel range.

Don't make the same mistake I made.

Also Lee does give a 10% discount if you mention classicbroncos.com.

Good luck and happy spending if you need twin shocks for the front. I think my fronts are about 180.00 each.

Matt

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
External reservoir allows a shorter shock length for equivalent travel because all the valving is moved to the reservoir. They may also run a little cooler because of higher oil volume and surface area.
Best thing to do would be to cycle the suspension and measure the compressed and extended distances of the shock mounts. I you have access to an RTI ramp, a loading dock, or just some tall floor jacks, you can stretch out your suspension.

ZookBronc

Loc.
South Orange County
rcmbronc said:
I think that these people will give a deal if you mention classicbroncos

http://raceshock.com/

They may be able to help on the length.

Talk to Lee.

12 in short bodies w/ resevoir in the front, valving should be 170/60 or perhaps 180/75 (duals) and 360/80 for single app.

http://www.bilstein.com/offroad_7100.php

I think the rear valving is 255/70 for the 5125 for a single application, not sure on the length.

Last edited:
OP
OP
XT700

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
Thanks for the info, I'll give Lee a call after I get a chance to check the travel. Unfortunately, I put the Bronco in storage 3 hours a way so it will be a couple weeks before I get up there to pull it out. If I pull off the rear shocks and lift the rear fully off the ground will that give me the travel length? Or do I need to lift just one side so that one side of the rear is up and the other down?

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
A ramp or a forklift is the best way to determine shock length. Take off your old shocks, flex that sucker out to the bumpstops, take measurements. Repeat for each corner, and record full stuff, and full extend from shock bolt-eye center to bolt-eye center.

Match those up with the one that most closely fit. If you have those measurements, share them with the guy at the shock company, that will help him find what's best.

360/80 is best for single app. Duals are for racing, and mall crawlers.;D

Saying what's best for a given lift is just too general. They need to be fitted to your rig, the way you set it up. Kind of like fitting shoes for yourself. Not every 5'9" man wears a size 10 shoe, make sense?