• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Disc Conversion

kbronco

I currently have a D30 front end and am looking at doing the chevy disc conversion. It says it will work with both 30 and 44 fronts. My question is, if I put the conversion on my 30 and decide to go with the 44 in the future is there any reason why I couldn't take all the parts off my 30 and them bolt directly to a 44? I've looked at several different articles and threads on this conversion but haven't found my answer.

Thanks for any help
kbronco

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
That is the nice thing about the Chevy disc conversion it will work on a Bronco Dana 30 or a Bronco Dana 44 but not on a full size

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
It will work on a pre 76 bronco Dana 44 or dana 30. But to answer your question yes you can sawp from one to the other. The 76 and 77 already will have discs and the knuckles are different thus not allowing the chevy stuff to be used unless you change knuckles.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yes it will work. That is the answer you are looking for.
I did the Chevy swap on my '69 D30 and ran it a few years that way. After I finally blew all but 2½ teeth out of the diff I picked up a D44. Unbolted the Disk parts, even swapped over the hard brake lines onto the D44. Clearanced the knuckles again and the work the same.

This is presuming that you find a '71 to '75 D44 front axle to use. I found a '77 axle but someone alread robbed the disk brake off of it. Found someone else that had a set of '74 knuckles to retrofit my '77 axle back to '74 so the Chevy spindles will bolt up.

OP
OP
kbronco

kbronco

Ok one more question. I put some prices together and it looks like using new and used parts it'll cost like $400. Is this right?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
kbronco said:
Ok one more question. I put some prices together and it looks like using new and used parts it'll cost like $400. Is this right?

depending on what is new and used, yea that's about right. I bought a "kit" about 15 years ago that cost me nearly $600. Back when the recipie wasn't common knoweledge.

I have heard of people picking up a complete GM front axle for $50 or $75 and a couple of rotors and did it for under $200. But you need luck and a good source of parts to pull that off. I rarely am that luckey when I need something.