• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 HO, AOD, Hydroboost, Rear Disk Oppurtunity? for $1200

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
OK, I just got back from the scrapyard and I found an 89' MarkVII with an almost complete 5.0HO it appears to be missing the alt. and bracket. An AOD, Complete hydroboost with lines, master cylinder and pump, and I believe it has 8.8 rear disks. The guy will let me take the whole car home with a deposit, and bring the shell back when I'm done. The history and milage is unknown. Does $1,200.00 for all the parts I can scrounge sound fair?

They also have a 93 5.0 HO/AOD out of a thunderbird, but all of the accessories and brackets are gone. The other option is a 90 Lincoln Towncar with a 5.0 and an AOD same deal, same price.

I know I can drive 1000 miles and get a complete car that runs, but this one is just down the road.... and I fugure it would cost about the same...

What do you guys think?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
with unknown history and mileage it could be iffy for $1200 I'd make sure the engine will at least turn. The cheaper the better sometimes if you wait a better deal will come along

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The '89 markVII does not have hydroboost. It has a POS Bosch ABS unit. combined master cylinder and ABS sustem all in one. When I worked in a dealership I remember getting n a car, driving across the parking lot, thinking something isn't right, opened the hood and saw that POS unit and went, "oh that explains everything", closed the hood and drove off knowing that the brakes felt like crap and there was nothing anyone could do about it.

The engine is an older non-mass air motor.

The only redeaming value is that the AOD isn't a pre-88. But it will still need a full disassambly (and probably rebuild) to put the adaptor on it.

Rear disk brakes will not bolt up. Not even close. The parking brake is in the caliper and not the hat so it is rather ineffective.