• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake Help

BigSwede

Loc.
Baltimore, Maryland
I just got my '76 Bronco today and put new front brakes on it to try and combat what I thought was a brake problem. The pedal is hard, but the thing takes a ton to stop. It has manual brakes. Is this pretty normal for manual brakes? I haven't used manual brakes in a long time, so they are kinda new again. I only got to replace the front calipers and pads (discs looked good) and will tackle the rears this weekend. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Frank

rob wilson

Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Manual brakes can be a real eye opener in some situations with a EB. Especially if you're running larger than stock tires/wheels. Highly recommend going to a power brake setup. Plenty available from several vendors.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Sounds like you may have a mismatched MC. You need an MC with a piston diameter of 1 1/8 or 1 1/16 inches. The bigger the bore, the harder the pedal. It shouldn't be as hard as you describe.

I run a stock manual MC (the drum MC wit the front check valve removed) with the chevy disk conversion and 35's. It stops pretty good. Granted power is better and I just got an Astrovan hydroboost unit I am going to install this winter.

Are you 4 wheel disk?

OP
OP
B

BigSwede

Loc.
Baltimore, Maryland
Nah, Disc/drum setup. Am pretty sure it came this way, but who knows. I am gonna get them bled good once I check the rear drums tomorrow and see how she fairs. I may not get to it until the weekend.

How do I tell which MC I have?

Thanks man.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
yea, manual brakes on a bronco tend to be rather high effort. You want a stock bore master cylinder, 1" Anything larger will only increase pedal effort. They are not like a new car by any means.

If you want new car super stopping power look at a hydroboost. Available in kits or people adapt them out of junkyard cars. This makes my Bronco stop as good as my new car with the Brembos! So strong that many have left a face print on the inside of the windshield the first time they touched the brake pedal.

OP
OP
B

BigSwede

Loc.
Baltimore, Maryland
Broncobowsher said:
yea, manual brakes on a bronco tend to be rather high effort. You want a stock bore master cylinder, 1" Anything larger will only increase pedal effort. They are not like a new car by any means.

If you want new car super stopping power look at a hydroboost. Available in kits or people adapt them out of junkyard cars. This makes my Bronco stop as good as my new car with the Brembos! So strong that many have left a face print on the inside of the windshield the first time they touched the brake pedal.

I'm gonna lookin into the power setup. Shouldn't be too hard to add to the bronc I dont think. How long is the setup on these?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Also keep in mind that new pads dont always work real well until they are worn in a little. Some of the new Hipo brake pads dont work well until they start getting hot.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
take a good look at your rear brakes too. The wheel cylinders can freeze up without leaking. That can make the pedal feel harder and not stop as good. Your '76 master cylinder should be the right size as long as the previous owners kept it the same size as stock.

OP
OP
B

BigSwede

Loc.
Baltimore, Maryland
Thanks for all of the replies! I got a good line on a power brake setup. Just need to find the time to get the rest of the system set up good, and find time to put the booster in there. All of this while finding a house and getting moved in!