• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w from a 99 exploder awd?

slcpunk

Loc.
The WB, UTAH
I am just wondering if this is what I want for my swap... I want to do a 5.8 efi with a 4r70w and an np205...

This is what I am looking at buying...
A 4r70w from a 99 awd explorer with a 5.0 and about 90k on it

I am just wondering if this will work for my app.
Does the awd meen it will still bolt to the np205 with no mods?

thanks in advance. I am trying to finalize the deal on this tomorrow so I need to know asap.

P.S. thanks bronco folks. there is a reason not everyone can own an eb...I think it has to do with helping one another out so thanks again

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds perfect. A little valve body kit to increase the torque capicity of the transmission up to the 351 output level. You are golden

I know of a 205 bolted to a AWD 4R70W sitting on a shop floor. I think all that is left is to fab the shifter linkage.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Everything I could find says it will work. That's close to the setup I want for a daily driver. The only difference is that I will use an Explorer 5.0 motor instead of the 5.8. At any rate it appears that the Explorer 4R70W has the same splines and pattern as the NP205. (I know the pattern is the same)

OP
OP
slcpunk

slcpunk

Loc.
The WB, UTAH
thanks a bunch guys I am so excited... Anyone know of a good place to buy a rebuild from? I was thinking of just getting it from bauman when I get the tcu but I am always open for suggestions

Broncos n' VWs

Hey, let me know if you get that Explorer setup. I may want to get the engine from you if you don't use it.

josimps2

Broncos n' VWs said:
Hey, let me know if you get that Explorer setup. I may want to get the engine from you if you don't use it.

Not to steal the thread, but does anyone have any pics of the where the tcase shifter comes out on the body of a truck w/ a 4R70W w/ a Dana 20 attached? I searched but came up empty handed.

OP
OP
slcpunk

slcpunk

Loc.
The WB, UTAH
I actually am just getting the trans from a guy in OH. I dont know of any 5.0s locally but I will keep my eyes open for you. You know I still need to check out that h-boost setup. damn I have been busy.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
josimps2 said:
Not to steal the thread, but does anyone have any pics of the where the tcase shifter comes out on the body of a truck w/ a 4R70W w/ a Dana 20 attached? I searched but came up empty handed.

Broncobowsher should be able to get a pic of his setup for you. Tim - be sure to have the brownie pan in the shot :).

Todd Z.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
toddz69 said:
Broncobowsher should be able to get a pic of his setup for you. Tim - be sure to have the brownie pan in the shot :).

Todd Z.

The shifter comes out about 3" closer to the driver. The tin Todd is refering to is my answer to floor clearance wthout a body lift. I can't find the pictures right now, best I can say is to look at the tech article for the 4R70W on this site.