• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What is the best power steering conversion kit?

Acknud

Loc.
Morganfield, Ky
I need to put power steering in my '69. I have looked for good kits with relatively easy installation. The best I have found is on Duff's site. I am looking for opinions on the best all around kit. What would you put on your rig? I am not rock crawling. I need general all around use in western Kentucky. The offroad use is mostly mud...no rock.

jbbies

Loc.
Durango
I would say find an original box there are a few on ebay right now. They are the most straight forward and least expensive. I put the f-150 version on mine that mounts on the inside of the frame I had to build my bracket, and really work on my steering geometry. But a kit would be pretty straight forward as well, just more money.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
most of the venders sell a new steering box. From what I can tell they are all made by Delphi, just sold a little differently by each of the venders. At that point it becomes a choice of what parts do you want to go along with that new steering box.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i can send you an email and phone to aperformance he can hook you with a kit for about 400 dollars it will be a scout box with 3 or 4 turn your choice the early bronco boxes are okay but you can easily have 400 or 500 dollars in just the box
colin at aperformance has hoses pumps pulleys, etc i just got a saggy pump with pulley hoses adapter dual return shipped for 106.00 dollars the scout box requires a little work but if you tell colin what your current setup is he can set the scout box up to use your existing column

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
If you got deep pockets ..spend 1100 or so but if your like most of us and
there is no such thing as extra cash ..then go with the scoutII box and put together the rest I spent maybe 300.00 took 2 months but I didnt spend 1100.00 either ...I've got the 3.25 turns if anything it's too fast ...my running buddy did a stock box on a 6cyl and it just worked out find on a 5 day 4x4 trail ride and hunting trip we just took ..25 miles a day his is 6 turns I rather not have 6 turns but I thinks 4 turns would be best ...
I think the 4x2 box is too long if you dont have a big lift ...
But it sure a great swap ...get r done....

slcpunk

Loc.
The WB, UTAH
I plan on doing the 4x4x2 box with a sag pump. seems to be the only way I am getting this thing done befor I need a walker(I am 19 now so...yikes I need to get movin!)

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
There's a lot of options on this one. You can use a Scout II box, stock EB box, 86-96 Toyota IFS box, ~90's Nissan 4WD box if the $1000+ kits aren't in your price range. All you have to do is drill a few holes, sleeve the frame, and weld in some plate on the outside of the frame - then you could run whatever you could find. You have to figure out the steering shaft depending on the box, which isn't too hard to do.

mtnkraus

Loc.
Iowa
I got a 4 turn out box and steering column out of a 77. Seems to work good and very little carving. (change taper on pitman arm only cutting). All under $500

BlackHorse

What's "best"? Best for what? 4x4x2 box is by far the strongest. If strongest means best then get the 4x4x2. It's got a good ratio too.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I bought the 4WD box and 2WD worm on e-bay to do the 4X4X2 box. I spent $64 including shipping. $28 for a rebuild kit. The box is easy to rebuid. I also like the 4 turns lock to lock. It seems to be just about right.

I used the old style round can saginaw pump. Because I had one left over from a 72 chevy truck. Ended up getting a rebuild kit for it too. Made my own bracket from the chvy bracket. Hoses and all I spent way less than $200. Every one that drives the Bronco comments on the way it steers. Can't imagine a much better PS system.

You can get a good system cheap, if you have time to collect parts.