• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

looking for a new carb

buckstone

Loc.
los angeles, ca
looking to buy a new carb. currently have a 4 bbl edelbrock. i would really like to "downgrade" to a 2bbl EFI carb - i'm real tired of the lousy gas mileage and the sticking floats that i have to deal with for the old 4 barrel. it floods alot and sucks on the off-road. . my engine manifold is edelbrock, so i was thinking of purchasing a 2 bbl edelbrock with efi. are there any 2 barrel edelbrock carbs out there with efi. any other suggestions? something that i could install with a minimum amount of hassle? thanks.

OP
OP
B

buckstone

Loc.
los angeles, ca
holley 470 - easy fit on an edelbrock 289 manifold?

just read thru some old threads. seems like the holley 470 ta is a popular carb - good for street and general off-roading. i don't rock crawl, but even on the mild off road stuff, the 4bbl edelbrock 1403 keeps flooding. this was the carb that was on my bronco when bought it. i have an edelbrock 289 engine mainfold. does anyone knpw whether the holley 470 will fit on this manifold properly? is it relatively easy to install as well? any tips? i'd rather get the 470 than try to rebuild a 600cfm - since i don't have lots of time to work on the carb. thanks.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
go to the boneyard and find a decent q-jet. Bolt it on and go. Smaller primaries give a little better mileage if you keep your foot out of it. If it's in decent shape it won't miss a beat off road. Or you could order a new one from chuck probably cheaper than the edelbrock set-up.

tj

Loc.
Elkhorn, CA
buckstone said:
i don't rock crawl, but even on the mild off road stuff, the 4bbl edelbrock 1403 keeps flooding. this was the carb that was on my bronco when bought it. i have an edelbrock 289 engine mainfold.

I ran a 1403 jetted for economy and had minimal fuel delivery problems in moderate technnical rock crawling at steep side angles but the carb performed OK otherwise. I don't know if it makes a difference but jetted for economy I was getting 15-16 MPG highway & 7-8 MPG on the trail or round town in my 302. Without opening up the carb I think I went down 2 steps from stock on the primaries and one step on the secondaries. I just now switched over to Mustang EFI to see if I can do better. Could be other factors influencing your mileage, including state of tune and your jetting. Of course how you drive is also a big influence.

Usually a properly jetted 2 barrel will deliver poorer fuel economy than a properly jetted 4 barrel with the same air flow. Your carb, 1403, is rated at 500 CFM. With a 2 barrel you have two large venturis open all the time. The four barrel has two small venturis open all the time and only opens the rear two as needed to get up to the flow the 2 barrel has all the time. For the same CFM, the 4 barrel is more flexible and can be tuned for better fuel efficency.

Anyway, its your $$$ and time but I suspect you will not be happy with the results unless your 4BB is really out of tune.

Doyle

Bronco Guru
470TA will fit the 289 manifold. Just bolts on. You may have to reroute fuel line changing from Elelbrock to Holley.

OP
OP
B

buckstone

Loc.
los angeles, ca
sounds like the holley 470 is the best choice - good overal carb that will fit nicely on the edelbrock manifold. and no crappin' out on the off-road stuff. thanks.

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
I have a holley 470 TA on mine. 302 rebuilt with a rv cam, etc etc. C-4 auto with a 3.5 in suspension lift running 33in tires. Gets about 12 mpg. I was up at URE a couple weeks ago and the carb performed flawlessly. Not a single stall even when I nearly rolled the truck.

Ed

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
A model 4100 Autolite carb. Fords purpose built 4 barrel.
simple reliable and probably the easiest carb to work on if you have to.
I have the 2100 (2 barrel) and love it
TOFIC