• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tell me about your air compressor set ups

jbbies

Loc.
Durango
I want to put on board air on my rig thinking about a holding tank how and where has everyone else put theres?

zombie66

Loc.
Beaverton, oregon
i bought a CO2 bottle for about $75 filled and a regulator from air source for around$40 any time the CO2 gets low i just take the bottle and swap out for $15 at one of the local airgas welding supply shops here in oregon. i bought one of the big tanks so it will last awhile. i bought one of the cheap little air compressors as a backup just in case. but with the CO2 i havent used it yet. and the CO2 will fill your tires fast.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
For years I ran a York style AC compressor off the bronco v-belt setup, i used a 3 groove crank pulley and fabbed and modified some junkyard brackets to make it fit. I now have a serpentine setup and use a sanden ac compressor. With the sanden I run moisture separator that dumps back into a tool oiler before the compressor. In both setups I have a pressure switch mounted to the firewall and a tank under the passenger floor boards. If you have shaved your rockers there will be little to no space there, but some have made there square tube rock skis into tanks. Here is some pics of my compressor, filter, and pressure switch.

Attachments

• DSC00033.JPG
    DSC00033.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC00035.JPG
    DSC00035.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 141

Projp

I had a tank from an old coleman compressor laying around. The A/C compressor came with the mustang motor. I put a shot of oil in the intake occasionally and it runs great. It also runs my ARB

Attachments

• cold air 007small.jpg
    cold air 007small.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 174

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I've thought about adding an onboard compressor a few times and if I ever do so I will use my rockers as tanks. So far I've been very happy with the 20# CO2 tank I use though. I think it costs me about $18 to fill up now and lasts me a few trips which usually includes filling the 37" tires at least once from about 8 lbs. to 25 lbs. I even use it to run my ARB.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
How do you like the new bracket you have?
Well after redrilling all the holes to fit the bolts and hunting through three diffrent wrecking yards to find the odd ball pulley required it works. For all the trouble I could of found an econoline van bracket or fabbed my own and saved a lot of money and time.

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
I used the Sanden A/C compressor that came with my 5.8l engine. I bought everything to plumb it at Granger and the local hardware store except the 2.5 gal. VIAAIR tank. I ended up putting the tank underneath, just in front of the rear seat. Check out the pictures in my gallery.

It works great! I was surprised at how much air the Sanden pumps. More than the compressor in my garage at home. It easily runs air tools and quickly fills tires. I did it just for fun and I have been really pleased. The only thing I'd do over is to use the special Loctite thread sealer instead of teflon tape. I've got a slow leak that takes about 4-5 days to empty the tank, if I don't run the pump. I've been too lazy to re-do all the fittings.

OP
OP
J

jbbies

Loc.
Durango
Can you convert the sanden pump over to a v-belt pully? and is it possible to mount on the passenger side I have no room due to my powersteering pump

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I don't know the answer about the v-belt, it should be possible to fit one over the alternator. I used to run a York compressor in that location when I used the V-belt setup. The Sandens are smaller. it might be easier to find brackets for the York's and they work well.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
ditto the above, cheap too. got mine for 35 bucks with the bracket.
Kilby had the rebuild kit. Have a look at a york setup you might like it.
TOFIC

OP
OP
J

jbbies

Loc.
Durango
I have a york set up It just doesnt seem like I have the room under my hood maybe im wrong I will have to look back into it.

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
Good call and that is why Chuck is now giong to inclued the pulley with the bracket.
scsm76 said:
Well after redrilling all the holes to fit the bolts and hunting through three diffrent wrecking yards to find the odd ball pulley required it works. For all the trouble I could of found an econoline van bracket or fabbed my own and saved a lot of money and time.

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
I grabbed an air brake tank at a truck junkyard for a few bucks. It's a few gallons and already had some mounting brackets on it. I mounted it under the floor on the drivers side of the rear driveshaft. Muffler is on the pass side of the rear driveshaft.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
what about using the explorer AC compressor that i got with the serp setup? I've read that it needs to be oiled on the intake side and filtered on the output, it is normally lubricated by the freon. Has anyone figured out a good way to do this?

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
lonesouth said:
what about using the explorer AC compressor that i got with the serp setup? I've read that it needs to be oiled on the intake side and filtered on the output, it is normally lubricated by the freon. Has anyone figured out a good way to do this?

It's a Sanden and yes it needs to be oiled with a "Mist Lubricator" and then the oil filtered back out with a "Coalescing Filter". They won't live without proper lubrication. Here's a link that tells you how to do it with part numbers. http://nwjeepn.com/onboardair.htm It's what I'm using.

braxton357

Loc.
morganton NC
It used to be thought that the sandens needed a preoiler, but now it seems that many believe the restriction caused by the pre oiler kills it faster than just regularly adding oil. Plus hurts the output CFM as well. I used to (and still have) a 20# c02 tank but will now use the 5.8's sanden (sans preoiler) until it dies.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I used the stock '92 mustang a/c compressor, no tank. I run my ARB's and air up my tires after the trail run. I squirt oil in the intake after or before each run. Haven't had any problems in 1.5 years.