• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sudden engine puzzle...

Potshot

I took the Bronco out for a morning drive to run an errand and after a couple of miles it started to run rough and eventually it stopped.
After a few minutes I was able to limp the few remaining yards into a parking lot. The fuel filter "seemed" to be burbling plenty of gas through itself (though it never fills the glass tube), so after checking potential electrical connection problems I tried to start it. It would catch on the first try after 5 minutes rest but would quit right away. This happened a few times so I figured now would be a good time to deal with that chipped and nasty coil and its crappy connections.
I swapped it out with one from the Autozone around the corner and sure enough all is well so I finished my errand and went home. Right around the corner from the house it started the whole thing again. Rough running and eventually a motor that won't start.

Now I'm starting to second guess myself. Did I get a bum coil? Is there enough fuel going to the carb? Am I sure? Other than the infrequent shimmy this truck has been a joy to drive, especially with the new front discs.

Motor is a 302 with an Edelbrock (Weber) carb. Electronic ignition. I just don't have the background for troubleshooting engines. Yet. %)
Any advice to help me up would be greatly appreciated.

-R

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
sounds like fuel problem but if playing with the coil fixed it I would look there. Maybe a bad wire or connection that you played with while changing the coil.

OP
OP
Potshot

Potshot

Thanks Steve. You know, I just had a flash... when I stopped at the Autozone I asked for a coil for a '75 Bronco (clearly without thinking). Since this Bronco now has an electronic ignition I'm wondering what coil I should have gotten. The original is in a trashcan out at the gas station and I hate to dive for it. I don't think my 75 came with EI...

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
what ignition are you running? Ask for that year coil. I run an HEI and no longer have these problems. Just 2 wires to the dist. power and tach gauge.

OP
OP
Potshot

Potshot

PO said Pertronix but I haven't done anything to confirm.
Hopefully they don't have multiple models for the 302 and my coil choices are simple.
BTW, What's the cost on an HEI? If it makes things simpler I'm all for it.
(***Saw an HEI system once with a clear distributor cap. That would be kinda trick.)

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
the wifes 66 had a pertronix in it when she bought it. It would constantly cause problems in traffic. We switched it back to stock dist.parts. Pertronix still uses the stock coil.. I put the HEI in when she upgraded to the 351w. I have the DUI dist which run about $350. Now there's an HEI swap using a "pro comp" dist that run about $100. Look for it on ebay. I think WH also sells em(pro comp). BC sells the DUI.