• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Holy Hydroboost Batman!

saxman

Loc.
Austin, TX
I must say that after piecing together all of the hydro boost parts, all of the time and energy are worth it! I have to agree that this is one of the best mods you can do, especially with larger tires. I have 33's.

I am running a 351W with no body lift and everything fits. It is tight, but works very well. I was surprised how easy I can stop the truck!

Unfortunately, the pump that I bought from NAPA leaks on the back. I have to take this one off and exchange it for a new one. Oh well, always something to do!

Parts for reference:
1. Fittings for hydro boost plumbing (thanks to edge4)
For a Astro unit, go to www.speedwaymotors.com and buy the following:
AN6 to 5/8" adaptor #617-4802
AN6 to 11/16" adaptor #617-4805
AN6 to 16mm adaptor #617-4806
AN6 to 18mm adaptor #6174808

2. Power Steering Pump with 2 return lines – 1977 Lincoln Mark V – Napa # NSP208606

3. 1980 MC – 1980 Chevy Camaro – Napa # 101612

4. 2 high pressure lines with 6 AN fittings. Both hoses have 90 degree bends on the ends of them.

5. Angled bracket off of eBay

6. Wild horses power steering pump bracket. I had to grind this down to work. I think BC Broncos requires no grinding at all.

7. Brake line adapters. 2 for the MC and one for the proportioning valve. These adapters were needed to use 3/16 brake lines with their respective fittings on the ends.

Attachments

• hydro1.JPG
    hydro1.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 273
  • hydro2.JPG
    hydro2.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 512
  • hydro3.JPG
    hydro3.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 478
  • hydro4.JPG
    hydro4.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 438
  • hydro5.JPG
    hydro5.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 658

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Exactly what I needed, thanks to you and edge4 for the info. I am getting ready to do the same thing and have everything but the hoses and adapters.

How do you plumb the whole setup...diagram please between box, pump and hydro? Thats all I need with this info, I am doing power steering and hydro all at the same time, those boggers are a booger to turn. Is that a stock box you are using?

Thanks again, cant wait!

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Perfect, you guys totally rock! Anybody know the size of the fittings on the 4x4x2 box (78 Bronco) box? Are they the same as the EB?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Josh, If you have lines made go to Oil Filter Service in SE Portland. They are down at about 7th. and Hawthorne. They are an Aeroquip ditributor and can build the power steering line with interchangeable ends so you only need to have an extra chunk of hose to repair it on the trails if it ever fails. (Mine is still holding up well after 2 years)

OP
OP
saxman

saxman

Loc.
Austin, TX
PDXBronco said:
Exactly what I needed, thanks to you and edge4 for the info. I am getting ready to do the same thing and have everything but the hoses and adapters.

How do you plumb the whole setup...diagram please between box, pump and hydro? Thats all I need with this info, I am doing power steering and hydro all at the same time, those boggers are a booger to turn. Is that a stock box you are using?

Thanks again, cant wait!

1. 18mm hydroboost/AN fitting to power steering pump high pressure out/AN adapter
2. 16mm hydro/AN fitting to steering gear box input/AN adapter
3. hydroboost return to power steering pump return
4. gear box out to power sterring pump return (stock hose)

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
PDXBronco said:
Should I just take my pump, box cooler and hydro all in (with some approximate measurements?
That should work. I took old lines with me but they could build them using the components as well. You really only need 2 lines built. The one from the pump to the booster and the one from the booster to the gear. The remaining 2 lines are common low pressure return lines I.E. You just need a return line for each of the matching components (booster and box). The pump end for each can just be pushed on and clamped with a hose clamp.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
PDXBronco said:
Perfect, you guys totally rock! Anybody know the size of the fittings on the 4x4x2 box (78 Bronco) box? Are they the same as the EB?

The 4x4x2 box has 1/2-20 pressure and 5/8-18 return.

Stock EB box is 11/16-18 pressure and 5/8-18 return.

Todd Z.

Broncos n' VWs

Looks just like mine! Good job, Saxman! I will be doing a 351 W swap a few months down the road and it looks like you have just enough clearance between the brake bracket and the valve cover. That is good news to me.
Isn't it nice having hydroboost?

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
The '80 Camaro master cylinder is for disk/drum setup. Use the '80 'Vette master cylinder if you are using a GM hydrobooster. If you are using a Ford booster, use a master cylinder for a '75 Thunderbird with four wheel disks. I used the T-bird master cylinder before I went hydroboost.

Th above diagram from Thegreatjustino is a helpful one but has a few things missing that were key for me to understand the whole setup which is why I photoshopped it into this ugly one.
h-boost-routing.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
saxman

saxman

Loc.
Austin, TX
Broncos n' VWs said:
Looks just like mine! Good job, Saxman! I will be doing a 351 W swap a few months down the road and it looks like you have just enough clearance between the brake bracket and the valve cover. That is good news to me.
Isn't it nice having hydroboost?

It is tight. I have roller rockers and so I had to use tall valve covers. I did have to grind the brake booster bracket a little to give so more clearance.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
slcpunk said:
does the vette and camaro mc just bolt right up to the astro hydroboost? what years of mc

'80 Vette/Camaro MC will bolt to an Astro Booster. Can't remember all of the years but the applicable ones will come up when you ask for that year. Camaro is for drum rear, vette is for disc rear.

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
Sorry for the ignorance, but the firewall bracket looks a whole lot like the bracket for a typical vacuum booster...is that what it is, modified to accept the hydroboost parts?