• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 buying info

IPwizard

Loc.
NE Ohio
Is it a complete engine? If so depending on mileage (if known) you can look to pay anywhere from $700 - 1,300 for it.

I just got quoted $500 for a 5.0 long block with over 100k on it, which seems to be a decent price.

I know others have gotten awesome deals if the person selling dosen't know what hes got then you might be able to get it away from him for lots less.:p

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Take a look at www.car-part.com and see what comparable engines go for in your area. Here in CO that's about a $6-700 engine, plus whatever they may want for other stuff like accy, wiring, EEC, etc...

More often than not, you can buy a complete running 'Stang for $750 or so at the auctions or if someone needs to dump a project.

Last one I bought for $500, but I had to pick up the car, drag it to my place, take what I wanted and drop it back off. However, I did get to take everything I wanted off it, so I got all the important stuff.
Joe

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I've been quoted 1,200.00 for the whole car all the way to 400.00 but they have all been lincolns and were not mass air. It all depends on how much work you want to do...

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Bring 700 cash and start your offer at 500.

I've seen people move faster when you plop cash on the hood.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
$200 to $2,000+
Long block that you have not seen run but looks complete and a motivated seller, $200. I paid that for a already removed on the ground 5.0 with intake and a butchered harness and no front dress.
Good running engine with some speed parts, the price can go way up.

How complete is the engine? Just an engine, not enough for the injection to work I wouldn't pay over $500 unless they can show some real good reason for it (dealer put in a factory engine 2,000 miles ago, etc.)

Complete with all the little stuff to get the injection running, (computer, harness, all the little solenoids that you may or may not use) air filter housing to cats and everything the belt spins over, about $1,200 tops.

mtnkraus

Loc.
Iowa
I have a 302 from a 88 Stang for took all the wiring, computer, exhaust and fuel system (Cost $650.00) for the my bronco then changed my mind at built an another old school engine to bad we are not closer.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
is the just the engine or can you get the trans too

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I just paid 550 for a 90 HO with most of the pullys, and a speed density (DA1) computer and harness. I didn't figure the computer part out until I got it home...

stretch

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
I paid 650 for a 99 explorer 5.0 with 70000miles with complete front dress. I see 5.0 engines all the time for 250-500 just keep your eyes open.