• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hub and Rotor install Problems

bronccar

So I bought a front and rear end off a buddy of mine (locker front mini-spool rear, 4.11 gears) and decided to "freshen up" the front end.

I got new bearings, rotors, studs, hubs and lock-outs.

This was my first time doing this - but it all looked pretty straight-forward.

I put the new dust shields on and slid the rotor on after I packed and installed the new bearings. I refered to chilton's at this point and it said to tighten the adjusting nut down to 50 ft/lbs. Well this didn't work as I couldn't even turn the rotor. Talked to my F-in-L who said to tighten just until I felt resistance on the turning rotor, then install the lock ring and the spindle nut (50-70 ft/lbs. acc. to chilton's).

I did this and the rotor turned pretty well, but once I put my new MM lockouts on, I had a problem. MM said that there should be a bit of play between the retaining ring and the spindle nut. I didn't have this, so I took everything back off and tightened the adjusting nut a bit more and achieved this.

Now, here are the problems:

1) Rotor pretty hard to turn
2) Rotor rubbing dust shield in spots (despite my attempts to "shape" it - although this appears to be a losing proposition seeing as when you push one part in - another buldges out).

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks!

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Whoa there!!..you have been given some very bad advice on how to tighten the bearing nuts..good thing you have not run it anywhere. First, the inner nut gets tightened up to about 50 ft-lbs but then backed completely off loose again. Then tighten it up again but only to the point where you barely feel any resistance at all from the nut (NOT resistance in the rotor turning..just an indication that you have snugged the nut up just barely to the point where you have close to zero bearing play) ..and back it off rather than tighten further if necessary to get the locking pin to align with the intermediate lock washer. Tighten the outer nut very tight.

The spindle bearing nuts have nothing to do with fitment of the hubs..factory or otherwise.

OP
OP
bronccar

bronccar

Thanks

I probably phrased it wrong above - but that's basically what I did - with the exception of the misunderstanding re: turning the rotor.

Once I seated the bearings, I bcked off the adj nut and then re-tightened.

The spindle nut is at 65 lbs.

What about the rubbing on the dust shield. As for the lockout - with out tightening the inner nut a little more, there was no "wiggle room" as required by MM>

I don't see how the nuts have "nothing to do with the fitment of the hubs (lockouts)" when tightening the inner nut allows more play for the internal part of the lockout. Without tightening the inner a bit more, the lock-out was snug up against the retaining ring with no play at all.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
bronccar said:
Thanks

What about the rubbing on the dust shield. As for the lockout - with out tightening the inner nut a little more, there was no "wiggle room" as required by MM>

I don't see how the nuts have "nothing to do with the fitment of the hubs (lockouts)" when tightening the inner nut allows more play for the internal part of the lockout. Without tightening the inner a bit more, the lock-out was snug up against the retaining ring with no play at all.

The dust heild rubbing is always an issue. I solved that problem by adding clearance between the shields and the rotor; my dust shields are back in the woods somewhere at least 100 yards away from my rotors. ;D (I never run them)

The interference issue you are apparently seeing between hub nuts and lockout has me baffled..never seen that be a problem and I have 20 of the dang trucks with those hubs. The only thing I do know for certain is that you cannot tighten the bearings too much without guranteeing nasty failure, and that adjustement is what it is..not affected by the lockout. Very strange..maybe someone else will chime in that has seen this problem..I haven't.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
bmc69 said:
The interference issue you are apparently seeing between hub nuts and lockout has me baffled..never seen that be a problem

agreed...never been issue for me either.

OP
OP
bronccar

bronccar

I must be holding my mouth wrong - LOL

As for the lockouts - they fit fine - as long as I don;t try to get the clearance that MM recommends.

I take it that the rotor should be basically unrestricted - free wheeling if correct?

Thanks guys!

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
bronccar said:
I take it that the rotor should be basically unrestricted - free wheeling if correct?

Thanks guys!

Yes..even a tiny bit of perceptible bearing 'play' in yr rotor when you yank on it with yr hands top and bottom is better than having the bearings too tight.