• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Wiring Harness

ripper72

Loc.
Lafayette
I bought a new rear wiring harness from 4wheelinjunky on ebay. Harness came in and is a perfect match to the original. I have dual exhaust on my bronco and it seems like the wiring harness runs kinda close to my exhaust where it was originally mounted on the interior of the frame. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can I cover my harness lines with some sort of heat protectant casing?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes you can. But with the stuff that I've seen, it might not be easy to slip it over pre-terminated wires with the plugs.
Re-routing it away from the exhaust as much as you can is a good thing either way too. But, since it's a stock replacement, you can probably only re-route it just so far, I guess.

The stuff I use is a coated, fiber-like material that is what the O.E.'s used in engine compartments back in the day. Don't see it much on new cars anymore, but you can get it at the more well-equipped auto parts stores. Probably a big NAPA would do, if you have one nearby.
You may have to split it yourself, as it's one-piece and not split for easy insertion. It's not the best way, but it'll protect the wires and a couple of zip ties used in the right spots will keep it in place.

In a pinch, at least put it in some split-loom and wrap with higher temp wire loom tape if you can get it. No cure for being too close to an exhaust, but it's better than nothing.

Just make sure that whenever possible, you anchor the wire as far away from the exhaust as you can. Even tweak the ehaust tubes for clearance if you have to. Give yourself an inch or two of clearance at least. The good news is that as far back in the system as it is, it's not as hot as farther forward. Still gets pretty toasty, but not as bad.

This is why a lot of us end up going to single exhaust when it's time to change the old one out.

Good luck.

Paul