• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Column trouble

MountainGuy

Loc.
Athens, Georgia
i've got an automatic tranny with the shifter still on the column and it finally gave out on me. It just moves freely from P all the way to D1. i can't start it at all because i can't get it into park or neutral. I haven't taken it apart yet, but would like to know what you guys thought just for the sake of knowing before i dove right in. thanks

clarrance

Bronco Guru
I would check to make sure your linkage is still hooked up from the column to the transmission first. Most of the time when the coulmn gives out it is the shift collar where the lever mounts, this is really noticable though. Just my 2 cents.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
I'd venture to say that either the tab broke off the shift tube, or the collar cracked. Mine did both, at about the same time.

JB weld limped me along for about a week, then I had to pony up for a proper column rebuild kit.

I've got an unfinished tech article if you'd like a copy.