• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

33s and 4.11s, 4.33s, or 4.56s

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i know what traction devices i want and will order those after i decide what gearing i am pretty sure i will be running 33s would like to go smaller but it just doesnt work out i am going aod in the future but that will probably be 2 years out (funding issue) i am just wondering if i can live with 3200 rpms at 70 mph with the 4.56s also does the lower gear help me in the mud as far as low end pulling i have a torque cam so low end will already be good project33.com has an online calculator you can play with gearing and tire size the aod will make it about 2100 in overdrive let me know your real world experience my longest drive on open road would be know more than 30 miles and 7 miles of that is gravel thanks bronco blood brothers (love ted nugent and spirit of the wild, the guy is crazy like a fox)

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Yes, you can get by with 4.56's. Mine had the same setup the day I drove it home (About 180 miles on the freeway). I kept it around 3100 RPM's the entire trip. It actually should work quite well for around town where you seldom get above 45. Once you go over 45 though your going to notice that it winds out quite a bit.

Will it help in the mud? Probably not. Mud likes high horsepower with a lot of wheelspin that will clean out the treads. The setup you describe will work well on the trails and for things like rock crawling. In high range it should do well enough for casual tromps in the mud but if mud is all you do then your going to want higher gearing.

Note to others. While the 4.56 gears will work for the above described setup it is not necessarily the best gearing. In the case above 2 things stand out. First is that it will not regularly be driven on the freeway and second is that it will be getting an overdrive tranny in the future which will allow it to grow into the lower gears.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
saddleup thanks one thing about the mud i travel in it is not regular mud where you have to have high horsepower you have to be able to crawl through buckshot for the most part you have to keep pulling that i why i think the lower gears will help the tire is more important than anything in this mud and for the most part i have only seen one tire (buckshot mudder bias ply) that keep itself clean and pulling at low speeds i am going to try and get a video of the mud we travel in sticky as glue slick as ice nothing like it in the US the aod is also a key like you said if i was not going aod what would be your choice for gearing thanks again

Recko555

I get 1964 RPMs @ 70.02 mph with my home made excel gear/cruise calculator. Just to be picky.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was running 33 12.50 SSR's with 4.30 gearing and it was too low for me on the highway, I just bought a set 35 12.50 SSR's and will be putting them on this weekend. (the 33's will more than likely be in the classifieds next week)

fordguy...where are you located? that mud you describe sounds just like what we have around here.(Mississippi)

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i am in vicksburg but i hunt in the delta along the backside of mahannah

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
I ran 33's with 4.56 gears for several years before switching to 35's. At 65 mph it ran 3200 rpm. You'll love 4.56's around town, but hate them at highway speeds. If you go to an AOD it should put the rpm around 2200 rpm at 65 and be perfect. Any lower rpm than that and I doubt you'll be able to use OD much.

With 35's I'm now about 3000 rpm at 65 mph. Not perfect, but better.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
33" tire without OD, 4.10 gear works good. 3000 RPM on the freeway is a bit high, but doable. Drivablity is very good off road and around town.

33" tire with OD, go 4.56 or 4.88. I have 4.88 with a .70 OD in the 4R70W. For all praticle purposes it is 2000 RPM at 60 MPH. I never drop out of OD on the highway unless I need to do some passing. With the grunt of the 351 I could do fine with 4.56 gears. with only a 302, I would look at 4.88s. Remeber that in OD that 4.56 gear start acting like a 3.25 gear. can your engine push the truck down the highway with less then stock gearing and much taller then stock tires?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
fordguy said:
saddleup ...... if i was not going aod what would be your choice for gearing thanks again
Tough call. I would probably still go with the 4.56's based upon your described usage. If your spending more time on the highway than mentioned then I would go with one of the others. If your considering a future change to a high pinion frontend then "don't" put 4.33's in.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
What tranny do have now? I think these guys have given you some pretty solid advice. I would probably not go lower than 4.11's without the OD unless you see very little highway driving. If you have a C4 or NP 435 now you will definitly be fine w/ the 4.11's, if you have the 3 speed I would be more inclined to go lower.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i have a c4 right now and will be going to an aod at some point my new engine would actually push the stock gears and 33s but it would not be easy on the transmission my aod is probably a couple of seasons out so 4.88s would be tough and i will never go above 33s our timber company does not allow anything bigger 456s seem like the right way to go little tall for now but for the most part my highway driving will be limited and in town those 456s should be a ton of fun and off road too

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
bowsher i misread your comments you said less than stock gearing i would love to do the 411s but then when i go aod the 411s would not be good that is why i think i can live with 456s but i have to be realistic and be sure i am going to do the aod i just dont want to have to do two gear changes not smart to do two gear changes on a vehicle that will see less than 10K miles a year Saddleup i am not going with a high pinion so 433s could be a choice the advice you guys have given is solid and spot on now if i could find some really cheap 411s that would get me by to the aod

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
fordguy - when do you plan on buying gears......I'm not far from you and would be willing to meet up with you during the Christmas Holiday week and you could drive mine if that would help in your decision. I'm running 35's with 4.30's and a C4.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
it will be after Christmas for sure i will be in and around Jackson during the holidays i may take you up on that

Broncobowsher

Total hack
When I went from 4.10 to 4.88 I did it a week before the NP435 to 4R70W swap. Couldn't really put them through the test as the clutch was so oil soaked with gear oil from a bad input shaft seal that it would hardly even go down the road. I did one 4th gear launch from a traffic light just to try it. the clutch smoke was overwhelming!

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
What do you consider cheap for 4:11's. I have a friend that usually has a few pots laying around. He shortens a lot of rearends. I could give him a call if you want.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
complete off road has new 456s on ebay bor 108.00 dollars so cheap would have to be a good bit cheaper than that

ChrisinWV

Bronco Guru
Loc.
St George Island, MD
How about a used set of 4:11's front and rear for $150 OBO plus shipping?
This is a good discussion.
I have the 33's on my F250.
I went from the stock 3:50's to 4:11.
With the ZF manual OD tranny, I really think I should have gone with the 56's
It is right on stock now, I could have used a bit more gear than stock.
I will be putting 4:88's in the bronco with the plan to run 37's in the rocks, but would like to add od at some point in the future...
I will be running the 435 for now, so my 35's for the street are gonna be a bit short I think on the highway. BUT I am building for the rocks so I will take that hit for now til I can afford od.
That shows how much it depends on how you want to use your rig.