• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How To Decipher A Ford Rear Axle Id. Tag

Status
Not open for further replies.

9inch

I was wondering if anyone out there had the knowhow to decipher the numbers and letters on a rear axle identification tag?
Thanks

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Post up what the tag says. We can decipher the ratio and whether it was limited slip or open carrier from that. The lower left portion is for the ratio and carrier. If it has a 3 then a space then 50 it would be open carrier 3.50 gears. If it instead is 3L50 then it would be 3.50 gears with a limited slip carrier. Or for 4.10 gears it would say 4 10 or 4L10. The rest of the numbers can usually be deciphered by running an Internet search for them.

OP
OP

9inch

Ok, the tag reads as follows...

WEM-E3 7DB
3.50-9 605F

From the research I've done, I think the 3.50 stands for an open 3.50 gear but as for the, -9, that follows the 3.50 and all the other #'s and letters I have no idea.
Thanks

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
9inch said:
Ok, the tag reads as follows...

WEM-E3 7DB
3.50-9 605F

From the research I've done, I think the 3.50 stands for an open 3.50 gear but as for the, -9, that follows the 3.50 and all the other #'s and letters I have no idea.
Thanks
The 3.50 is the ratio. The -9 stands for 9" ring gear. The other numbers are designations for the rearend application I believe. Usually searching for them on the internet will turn up more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.