• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

serious question, cut / uncut looking qt. panel

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Many of you may have seen / read my postings on the "Cut/ uncut looking rear quarter. Most everyone liked the idea. Well liking it and buying it for yourself are two different things. I am currently working with a company that is able to reproduce this flair / bigger fender. I got some pictures of the job and what it takes to put them on. I would like to know if you could buy this panel, would you? Keep in mind what it takes to put on, dont forget paint. Also would you rather buy just the flair part and install it like I did? Or would you rather have the whole lower quarter replacement panel? Like I have said before if you hate it tell me. I am looking for input on this that will help me make a decision on moving forward. Cost, very early yet, but if it costs more than a full set (4) of good flairs I think it is a bust. Or would you pay more? Kit would come with good directions. templates, and the rear tail light piece. What else do you need.

Thanks
Bax

Attachments

• P1010079.JPG
    P1010079.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 650
  • P1010016.JPG
    P1010016.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,311
  • P1010013.JPG
    P1010013.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 708
  • P1010075.JPG
    P1010075.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,002
  • P1010076.JPG
    P1010076.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 708
  • P1010082.JPG
    P1010082.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 641
  • P1010086.JPG
    P1010086.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 822
  • P1010080.JPG
    P1010080.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Looks great Bax! I am already cut and staying that way, but I like it alot. I am sure that you will get alot of interest....might want to add "uncut look" to your thread title.

ztoolman44

Loc.
Farmington, Utah
I would definately be interested. Either as a patch panel or a replacement. A quick search of the usual vendors shows full quarter panels going for around $90 and tail light housings from $45 to $50. I would say that if you had a kit with a full replacement quarter panel and the small part for the tail light around $125-$150 per side you would be in the ball park. Maybe a little less if you sold it as a patch panel. This is an awesome way to gain the needed clearance without destroying the classic lines. Well done.

SWFLABRONCO

Loc.
Cape Coral, Fl
Bax, those look great! I guess to me, the easiest option to install would be the one I chose. I think the flair option is great and would keep the cost down to some degree, not to mention shipping costs damages, etc. The work you put into this was tremendous, but having a preformed piece ready to weld in would be much less daunting than trying to do what you've done. I'll tackle just about any portion of my EB, but body work tends to intimidate me. You'll sell many of these.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I don't have a rig for those to go on right now as all mine are already cut and flaired front and rear but if I had an uncut that I wanted to lift or one that still had the uncut fronts I'd be all in. I think $250-$275 for a set would be fair and it would be nice to have the whole quarter so that you could go from cut to uncut or even if you are uncut you could more easily replace the rear quarter than just a patch. I think it is marketable.

Have you talked to any of the vendors to get their take yet?

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I love what you have done but, for those going with a lot of travel I think there would be some clearance issues. I know mine would destroy those first time out with 37's.
I think it is still worth looking into, with narrower tires and wheels they should work well. Much better than stock and look ten timesbetter than any cut out flare.

bigpappa

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gardendale Al
Great job. If I did not already have the stuff to do this myself I would be interested. I would vote for just the flair just because I am wanting to mount mine a little higher to give a bigger opening and to match the lines in the front fender. but either would be a great option to have.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Wow. nice job, and it looks great. I would prefer a replacement lower quarter kit.

Mikey

Bronco Guru
I'd like to see what they look like with the truck painted. Also, a photo of the entire Bronc to see how it all looks together.

I currently have very rusty cut rears and have been toying with going back to uncut vs cut when I replace the entire panel. This would provide a good option to the cut vs uncut debate for me. I have 2 1/2 inch lift with 31s so all three options are good. I like classic looks but want the clearance. This might work for me....but an entire panel. Also would need to clear the factory rear tire carrier.

Good luck!
Mikey

BG's 68 Bronco

i like it, but I already bought new upper and lower quarters... haven't installed them though, so I guess I'd still be interested.

1 old 67

Loc.
L.A.
Ok I love the look of the lines of my bronco, but I will be driven my rig off road and would LOVE to have a set of those on my rig .but in my eyes I would need to know what seize tire you can get in there and flex it so we can see for our own eyes. If I could get 36” on a 5.5 and a 2” body lift I would be all over it for say 450$ for the whole quarter and for the set. No light gage metals something that is going to last hey if you are going to do it do it right!:cool:

I know most of the guys run 3.5” lift kits so maybe you could do it with that

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
I like the looks of it. It's very similar to the opening on the f/g tub. If I had a metal body that was cut up I would buy the lower replacement panel.

If you are open to suggestions.......what about making it a little fatter to accept wider tires? ....maybe just a little "bloat".

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Side view. Also the body line is set and cant be moved. The tail light piece locks it in place. To make it adjustable would be imposible if you madea complete replacement panel. This truck has a 3 1/2'' lift and a 3'' body lift. It also has 37's on it. There is 7'' between the tire and the fender.

Yummm, Pancakes.

Attachments

• P1010025.JPG
    P1010025.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 704
  • P1010023.JPG
    P1010023.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 575
  • P1010024.JPG
    P1010024.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 718
  • P1010021.JPG
    P1010021.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 438

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
To answer what this thread is asking, I love the look of the quarters. However, I think the question that needs to be answered before these are mass produced is who is going to go to the extent of doing that much work after putting on a lift and big tires. If someone is building a rig to offroad, adding flares on the back is a lot easier than welding in the new quarter. It would seem that the market for these would be lifted Broncos with big tires that are pretty much street rigs. Not sure how many of those there are, but if I had one, I'd be all over those quarters. Nice work.

Last edited:

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
I have a 76 that will be mostly a street and light trail machine. It has cut rears and I would like to go back to the uncut look, so I am very interested. I would prefer just the patch, but really whatever is the easiest. As for as price? If you could keep it down to the price of a set of 4 flare then I think that would be good. Of course cheaper is better.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
thegreatjustino said:
I think the questions that needs to be answered before these are mass produced is who is going to go to the extent of doing that much work after putting on a lift and big tires. If someone is building a rig to offroad, adding flares on the back is a lot easier than welding in the new quarter. It would seem that the market for these would be lifted Broncos with big tires that are pretty much street rigs.

You are correct. If you are wheeling hard this is not going to work for you. also with hard wheeling comes body damage. For some thats OK. These are the rigs that get cut way high. However if you are riding trails and not doing really serious stuff this will work. My truck has 37's I could add another 2'' of lift no probem and clear the fender by 9''. Now what if I was wheeling with 34's ? Things open up quick. My idea is to help out the guy that wants to run a bigger tire and keep a stock looking quarter panel. This same guy wants to keep his truck nice. He will go thru all the trouble to put them on because he is not going to bang up the panel next time he goes wheeling. It's just an option that could work for some of us.
Also I do think that the flair could be "puffed Out" a bit to help clear the fender / tire when it is stuffed up "inside" the wheel well. Wide tires will not let this option happen.
Keep up the good and bad points, your opinion is what I need to hear.

Thanks
Bax

bigpappa

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gardendale Al
thegreatjustino said:
However, I think the questions that needs to be answered before these are mass produced is who is going to go to the extent of doing that much work after putting on a lift and big tires. If someone is building a rig to offroad, adding flares on the back is a lot easier than welding in the new quarter. It would seem that the market for these would be lifted Broncos with big tires that are pretty much street rigs. Not sure how many of those there are, but if I had one, I'd be all over those quarters. Nice work.

I disagree with you a little here. This is not just the same opening just lifted up a few inches. The opening is also wider thanks to adding a piece to extend it. So in effect you have the same opening as you do in the front. So theoretically if you can tuck the tire in the front you should be able to in the back. I may be wrong about this, because the only one I have seen modded this way and flexed was also sectioned in the rear. Which is apples and oranges to this. But from looking at the pics and imagining it flexing I can see BAX tucking his tire in the wheel well.