View Full Version : Painless harness install

JWMcCrary
03/26/07, 09:41 AM
Finished making all the connections on my Painless harness this weekend. Although it's not totally "painless" it was fairly easy to do as long as you paid attention and took your time. I added the Painless H4 headlight harness and a 3G alternator that I bought from Ray Knight (Thanks again) and put on a neutral safety switch in order to get my backup lights to work. I had 2 wires reversed on the turn signals but was just a mistake..I had it right in my notes and plugged them in the wrong slot anyway. Next weekend will need to tie wrap and loom everything and should be good to go. I had been dreading this for a while.

From what I have experienced so far I highly recommend this harness to anyone wanting to tackle it. The help on this site and from Painless is great.

deltarat
03/26/07, 10:32 AM
I know you are glad to have that project behind you. It looks really intimidating. I have to do mine one day and I hope it's not as bad as it looks.

BYUBRONC
03/26/07, 10:40 AM
I'm about half way through my centech job. No snags YET. I totally reconfigured my dash though, so it mixed it up. Glad to hear your done. Any suggestions, beside taking your time? I'm being very meticulous.

JWMcCrary
03/26/07, 11:27 AM
Not sure about the centech but the painless comes with several of the switches attached. Check and make sure all the wires are connected correctly. The ignition switch on mine had 2 wires switched right out of the box. Study all the directions before starting and if you don't have it, get a wiring schematic for your year bronco...you will need it when figuring out the turn signal plug and wiper connections.

Triggerman
03/26/07, 11:39 AM
I just completed this job weekend before last. Took 7 almost complete days to get it done. It is impossible to get in a hurry doing this, if you do you will feel like you are going backwards. I fully expected my truck to explode when we finally hooked up the battery (after powering up the system with the bat charger first of course) but she came to life and Everything worked as is should, what a feeling!! Advice: every wire is labeled but wires coming out of the wiper motor, duraspark etc, are not naturally and wire colors (new harness vs. old stuff) will not always match but when they do go with it! This may sound haphazard but we found it to be accurate every single time. I did a Dakota Digital guage cluster at the same time and it is far more awsome than I even thought it would be!! Of course all this will be in the article in an upcoming issue of BD but I thought I would share anyway. HTH.

ochretoe
03/26/07, 12:52 PM
I just completed this job weekend before last. Took 7 almost complete days to get it done. It is impossible to get in a hurry doing this, if you do you will feel like you are going backwards. I fully expected my truck to explode when we finally hooked up the battery (after powering up the system with the bat charger first of course) but she came to life and Everything worked as is should, what a feeling!! Advice: every wire is labeled but wires coming out of the wiper motor, duraspark etc, are not naturally and wire colors (new harness vs. old stuff) will not always match but when they do go with it! This may sound haphazard but we found it to be accurate every single time. I did a Dakota Digital guage cluster at the same time and it is far more awsome than I even thought it would be!! Of course all this will be in the article in an upcoming issue of BD but I thought I would share anyway. HTH.

Henderson is close. I may have to borrow the shop at Chickasaw for a weekend and get you to help me put mine in ;D

Triggerman
03/26/07, 04:19 PM
Sounds good! You have access to the shop at Chickasaw or you yankin my chain ;) ? Let me know if you want to come over and see it some weekend, always good to talk Broncos!

mlogan24
03/27/07, 12:03 AM
I've hard a hard time figuring this out just from reading the manual on Painless's site-does the Painless harness wire up to the stock ignition switch or does it come with its own "generic" type ignition? Thanks!

JWMcCrary
03/27/07, 07:52 AM
I've hard a hard time figuring this out just from reading the manual on Painless's site-does the Painless harness wire up to the stock ignition switch or does it come with its own "generic" type ignition? Thanks!

stock ignition switch.

tasker
03/27/07, 08:11 AM
so fairly easy to do? did you take the stock one out first or piece at a time? i'm thinking about doing it but yes seems a bit daunting