• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Alternator Question

BuckBronco76

Loc.
Louisiana
Will the 3G 160 amp and 75 amp at idle Alternator be to strong and burn up my stock wiring harness on my 76 Bronco? All I have is a panasonic stereo reciever but will soon upgrade to a pioneer and sirious satellite radio. Also I have a lightbar with 6 KCs on the roof but they have not been hooked up. When they are on, one switch would activate 3 on one side of the bar and the other KC switch would activate the other. When all activated my lights would go dim at idle after a few or several minutes. What do you think. I do not want to install a new wiring system like centech and francis because I haven't had any wiring problems except a short awhile back. Also i run a stock coil. Would I have toupgrade that and my stock duraspark electronic ignition module or can it handle a 3G or is 160 amps to much like my regular stock alt?

catfish1512

Loc.
Fort Worth, TX
The alternator will not burn your factory wires all your stock componets will pull the same current no matter the size of the alternator. However when installing a new high power stereo or amps you need to have dedicated FUSED wires to the battery for them, as well as the kc lights which should be powered by 3 relays (2 lights per relay) the lights may pull too much current for some switches causing them to melt or catch fire. as for the ignition system it will be fine also. The only wires you might wanna check/upgrade is the one from the alt to the battery.

ransil

Bronco Guru
Devices only draw the current they need, they are not force fed current from an alternator if you were to hook up your stero to a nuclear power plant it will still function and draw the same current as it would if it were connected to the stock alternator.
As for the KC lights make sure the current rating on the relays can handle 3 lights and the wire is properly sized .

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Talk to THE man on alternators on this site. RRRAAAYYY22 are you there?? The man needs some help. If Ray doesn't see this go to his website at www.svapowerproducts.com and talk to him What he does not know about alternators and starters is not worth knowing.
TOFIC

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
Thanks TOFIC, not that good though.

CATFISH has covered everything well in his post. I woulds add that since the EB's charge wire goes from the alternator through the cab, and then to the battery. It would need to be rerouted. I would go from the alternator directly to the battery, then upto the cab.

You want to make sure that the lights and stereo are not coming from the stock wiring harness or the stock fuse panel. If you try to use either of those you will have major issues.

You do not need to do a complete rewire. You can add another fuse panel or breaker strip. Use it to feed power to your lights (via relays) and stereo system. Big truck shops should have a weather proof unit that has 4 or 6 breakers in it. They are used for wiring in light packages on trailers.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Amen boys ...TTT... I think I need to refer back here in a few days I'm having trouble with Snake Bite....Sorry this makes it easier when I need to refer back .....But Buckbronco good advise here from these young fellows .......

Last edited: