• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Faulty WARN lockout hubs

KempEl

i was driving my bronco home the other night and i heard a light squeal from the right front wheel. as soon as a igot home a checked the hub and it was extremely hot. i knew something was bad wrong. the next day i stripped it down and pulled out my WARN lockout. it was destroyed from the back side! there was a ton of metal shavings, looked like spaghetti!. cant figure out what caused it.:mad:

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) Had a stock one do that the last person to work on it didnt tighten the jam nut it backed off and did a number on the hub. It also frayed the end of the axle I had to drill and tap the hub and make a puller to get it out. After that about 2 hr with a file to fix the end of the axle. Good luck with your's.;D ;D ;D Bill :D :p :)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Was the stock hub spring still in there (the spagatti maybe?) how do the sheel bearings look? IF a wheel bearing starts coming apart it misaligns the hub with the spindle, loading the hub as it tries to act as a wheel bearing, poorly.

Without seening the parts (both good and bad) it is difficult to say what the failure was.

45acp

Loc.
Texarkana AR
I had the same thing happen on mine years ago, and just as wildbill said the wheelbearing nuts backed off. Pull it all out and you will see the bearings are toast, and you may need a new spindle (mine got the threads chewed up) on top of needing a new lockout.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I have seen both of these happen, until you open it up it's hard to say.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Were the hubs locked? I've had thcheap locknut on the backsid strip out and jump threads under load 2x now. The first hub ended up in the trash. I caught the second one in time to sort of repair it to use as a spare. Now I run MM ultimates.

OP
OP
K

KempEl

i replaced the hubs and the nuts and bearing were in good shape! i claened and re greased everything. i guess the mold for the lockout had a weak compound.