• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need a Tire/Wheel recommendation! IROKs on Beadlocks v MTs on Alcoas

What do you think would be better for my situation?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Alright here is the dilemna, I have a set of wheels and tires for my trail beast but as a craiglistaholic I found a pretty good deal on some MT's...need your suggestion oh wise and faithful! PS I am running np435, locked up, 5.13 gears, stock 302, ffull width axles, and run trails in the NW so I see lots of hills that are muddy (not southern mud but still muddy), some rock and sand once a year. I thought about having them both but cant afford a set of 1k tires and wheels sit in the garage.

Choices are the following and only the following....

1. I have 36x14? IROK's (measure 36.8") on black steel beedlocked rock crusher rims. Tires are virtually new.

2. available for purchase are 38.5x16x16 MT Bias Baja Claws (according to 4wheel site are 39") on 16x10 Alcoa Classics. Tires and rims are virtually new.

I love the look and function of the beadlocks but the MT's are very tempting and I think would be a bit lighter and a bit bigger (I have the room).

Gimme your choice folks, I gotta make a decision this morning.

Last edited:

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Priced reasonably i assume (after all you have a Bronco, they must be a good deal)

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Ah come on guys thow out your votes ;D Price is 1k for the MTs on Alcoas, I think its pretty good, hell new its over 2k for the set and these are almost new.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Ok I give;D I would go with the MT's and that is a good price. Just keep em in your garage;)

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
You're actually planning to wheel this thing, right?

I vote Iroks. Leave the MT's for the mall crawling crowd.:p

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
IROK's all the way...cheaper to replace if/when you tear a sidewall, beadlocks all that much better for airing down, and I have yet to be impressed by the MT's (other than the sheer size of the 46") in anything other than sand. The Boggers and IROK's seem to consitently outperform them depending on the terrain.

Off the guy $750 cash for the MT's, and then turn around and sell them for a profit.;D

zdaily

Loc.
Rogue River, OR
Agree completely.

I also agree completely with the Irok / Beadlock crowd. You can't beat beadlocks for airing down. Although I must say, my friend has the MT's on his yota and they are a pretty awesome tire, but I think they're best on sand. Iroks will be way more versatile. Just my 2 cents.

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
Maybe I dont 'wheel hard enough but I've taken my SSR's and now IROK's down to 5-7lbs and havent(YET! in 6 years of wheelin the bronco) lost a bead.(and that includes the 4 inch wide gash I put in an SSR with a rock just inches above the bead)

Having owned Irok's and seen MT's on the trail on my buddies truck I dont think you could go wrong, I'd place them in the same 'traction' category.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Thanks for the responses guys, I do love a little bling bling and the MT tires are sweet looking but I guess I will have that on my other Broncos. I do love the look and function of the beadlocks, guess I just need to jack my wife's up higher and put the MT's on hers. ;D

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Both...the perfect solution ;D

You should buy them and then wheel the piss out of both of them and do a long term torture test and then report back with the results.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
I hate alloy wheels on a trail rig.
The smooth surfaces on the bead section allows them to debead VERY easy on the trail.
Alloys are only good on the trail if they are beadlocked.

cesco

I am running 36" radial IROK's and love them.. I air down to 2-3psi on the trail..