• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Intermintent no-start/hard to start '76-302-2bbl

goosebahr

Loc.
Overland Park, KS
Looking for some ideas on what to look for. I searched, I promise.

'76-302-2bbl

4-2-07
Started and ran fine in morning. Come back to it couple hours later. Little bit hard to start. Started then later died half way up the street.

Engine would fire up while starting and immediatley die. Got it to start and run while holding the RPM's up for as long as I wanted. While troubleshooting it got harder to start and eventually would not start.

I thought for sure it was a vaccum line too. I could not find anything hanging off or broken and I could not hear any hissing when I was under the hood.

4-3-07
Fired right up. Drove it for 15 minutes and then died. Started it again and would not die. I bought a fuel pump and was going to put it on but now I'm thinking coil (intermintent, hot).

Anyone ever seen this or have any ideas what the problem could be? Thanks in advance.

I used to be good, but now I spend too much time in a cubicle instead of under the hood.

75broncold

Loc.
Spring, Tx
How long has it been since you replaced the electronic ignition control module? The square silver box that mounts to the driver side fender. If you get it to run put your hand on this box to feel if it gets hot. If it is then it is going bad and needs to be replaced. Could be part of your problem.

OP
OP
goosebahr

goosebahr

Loc.
Overland Park, KS
I never have replaced the contol box. It is not hot. I took the EGR off and cleaned it up. Put it back on and it ran good for 15 minute drive around the neighborhood, while idling in the driveway it died and would not start again.

When I say would not start its weird. The engine starts while cranking when I quit cranking it immediately dies no matter what I'm doing with the throttle.

All of you guys are a bunch of high tech rednecks with your efi setups;D .

70_Steve

Old Guy
goosebahr said:
When I say would not start its weird. The engine starts while cranking when I quit cranking it immediately dies no matter what I'm doing with the throttle.
When it gets like that, see if you have voltage on the + side of the coil with the key turned to ON. Or, if you don't have a voltmeter handy, just run a jumper from the battery + to the + side of the coil, then check to see if it will stay running. If so, you have a bad connection someplace between the ignition switch, through the resistor wire, to the firewall connector.

OP
OP
goosebahr

goosebahr

Loc.
Overland Park, KS
75brocold is the man

It was the ignition control module after all.

When it died I checked for power to the coil, it had it.

Pulled a plug wire off and the spark faded away while cranking on it. Just like I described how it would start while cranking and immediately die as soon as I quit cranking.

Thanks for all your help fellas.

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
Mine would do that sometimes but it seemed more like a fuel starvtion. Turned out I had rust in the fuel lines. I changed out the fuel filter ($5) and bingo she ran like a champ. Needless to say I am replacing the lines and tank. Lots of rust..

1975SPORT

Loc.
Hood River, Oregon
How long has it been since you replaced the electronic ignition control module? The square silver box that mounts to the driver side fender. If you get it to run put your hand on this box to feel if it gets hot. If it is then it is going bad and needs to be replaced. Could be part of your problem.

I agree, it gets warm and then causes this, mine was doing it. Happened on the freeway once, not fun. Unfortunately they are not cheap enough to carry an extra anymore but they are better than they used to be. Wanna say they are about sixty bucks or so.