• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Axle Relocation Plates

stever

Loc.
Conifer, CO
I've always had big broncos in the past, got my first (and long awaited) EB in December.

I went to 35" tires with what I believe to be 3.5" suspention lift 2" body lift. A combination I think is not uncommon.

Other than some drag on the radius arms the front has full motion.

In the rear, however, I'm hitting the front lower corner of the fender as soon as the wheel goes up about 6". I already chipped (fiberglass body) the fender running 33's with chains.

Fiberglass body with "built in" flares could be my problem, the flares on the back roll under the body quite a bit, I'm tempted to cut them off and go with aftermarket flexible flares if I knew they would fit the fiberglass openings. The front flares are especially ugly on the early Kentrol bodies anyway.

Question is, Has anybody had any experience with plates to move the axle back? I need about 2" so I would fab something like this:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Images/Shim12.jpg

Any other way to easily (and safely) get 2" of wheel base? Then the wheel wouldn't be centered under the inner fender but I don't think that would be a problem they are pretty big.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
I was just talking to SUNRAY about my axle problems. They suggested drilling a new hole in the axle spring perch for an extra inch of wheelbase--they said they do it all the time. I am not sure if I would go much farther than that with those shims--might make the pinion pretty flexy the farther you moved the guide pin to the rear.