• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock Radio Question

leucbronc

I bought a stock bronco radio off eBay (I know, buyer beware). I got the thing and here is what I found:

1. No speaker wire(s) coming out of it.
2. Posts dont match the cutout on the dash (could be a different year?)

The first one is what's got me stumped. I opened up the radio and cant really figure out where the speaker leads should be coming from.

Anyone have experience with this, or is there anyone that can point me in the direction of a schematic?

if all else fails I could send it to someone that restores them... trying to avoid that cost/time if possible.

Thanks!

--Steve

MKD

Loc.
Edgewood, NM
I'm looking at the drawing in my shop manual ('1968 Bronco, 1969 Econoline and Club Wagon Shop Manual) and the speaker wire comes out of the unit on the same side that the antenna wire goes in (the left, when facing the knobs). The drawing indicates the speaker wire has a plug at the mid point, allowing the other end of the wire which is attached to the speaker to be detached for replacement. (I suppose I could go out and look directly at mine but that would be too simple...;D )

You didn't mention the model year truck you have but I doubt they changed much, the distance between the knobs notwithstanding. You sure you got one for an EB?

OP
OP
L

leucbronc

Well, not 100% sure but it sure looks like one by the faceplate and the mounting bracket. The one I have has the power and the antenna coming out the left (as you are looking at the front of if) and nothing coming out the right but there is a whole on the right with a short tube/cylinder coming out from the body.

I think I have the same diagram you do (I have the shop manuals on CD) -- what I was looking for was a schematic of the internal board so I could trace from there.

Maybe I should post some pics?

--Steve

Go_Vols_Bronco

Loc.
North Texas
I have bought and resold several of those radios from different years and different models (EB, F150, F250, etc) trying to get a gem and they all had the same specs and would fit the standard EB. One reason the radio might not fit is because the knob holes were drilled aftermarket. I have a '67 and the original owner had a non-EB radio and the holes were drilled to fit that specific radio and not the standard EB style radio that are all over eBay.

OP
OP
L

leucbronc

Pics

Here are some pics.

1. Front shot of the radio, power and antenna on the left, bracket on the bottom.
2. Antena and power connectors.
3. Top view.
4. Right side shot, notice the tube thing sticking out.
5. Head on shot of the tube.
6. Inside
7. Closeup of inside by tube

Attachments

• BroncoRadio 001.jpg
    BroncoRadio 001.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 38
  • BroncoRadio 002.jpg
    BroncoRadio 002.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 40
  • BroncoRadio 005.jpg
    BroncoRadio 005.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 21
  • BroncoRadio 006.jpg
    BroncoRadio 006.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 31
  • BroncoRadio 007.jpg
    BroncoRadio 007.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 27
  • BroncoRadio 008.jpg
    BroncoRadio 008.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 35
  • BroncoRadio 009.jpg
    BroncoRadio 009.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 32

croft75

mine looks exactly the same, the tube on the side is for the antenna plug,
the wire with the 2 leads is for the speaker and the single one is for the power.

OP
OP
L

leucbronc

Thanks croft!

that certainly makes sense but all the wiring diagrams I have seen have the speaker exiting on the right. I guess there's one way to find out...

Avalanche63

I just bought an extremely stock 67' and the radio works. I plan to put a sound system in and will probably put the radio and stock speaker on Ebay. Let me know if yours won't work....