• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Relay wiring for an fan

mountainview68

Loc.
yet to be determined
I went to napa and bought a relay to activate the fan on my transmission cooler. I have not wired one before and there is no instructions. This is a standard relay. I have 5 pins labeled 85, 86, 87, 87a, and 30. Does anyone know what connects to what. The guy at napa had no idea.

Thanks

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
From memory here, but I believe this is correct. I have never used the pin in the center, I believe it is 87A.

Pin 30 - Hot from Battery
Pin 85 - Ground
Pin 86 - From switch to activate relay 12V
Pin 87 - out to fan (12V when relay is on)

You might wait for somebody else to verify this or correct.

70_Steve

Old Guy
See if this helps. Or, do a Google search for Bosch relay wiring.

Attachments

• RelayWiringGuide.jpg
    RelayWiringGuide.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 43

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
70Steve's drawing verifys what I posted...good luck.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
most relays I've seen have a schematic cast into one side.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
I hope you bought a 80 amp relay. Those fans pull a lot of juice, a 30A relay won't last one day.

Ryans71

Loc.
Milton, Wa
I even had an 80 go out. So I switched to a constant duty selonoid. Haven't had a problem since.

Ryan.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I hope you bought a 80 amp relay. Those fans pull a lot of juice, a 30A relay won't last one day.

SHouldn't be a problem for the fan on a trans cooler. My B&M trans cooler calls for a 15 amp fuse.

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
I'm about to wire up my Tranny cooler fan and want to go the constant duty solenoid route.

Does anyone know a part number or application that I should ask for at the parts store?

Also, the cooler itself has a couple wires coming of of it. I'm assuming that is for an internal thermostat that tells the fan when to turn on and turn off. Am I correct? And how do I wire that up?

I don't have the box or paperwork or instructions anymore. Lost them years ago and only now getting to install it. :p

Marty

I even had an 80 go out. So I switched to a constant duty selonoid. Haven't had a problem since.

Ryan.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not necessarily for a thermostat, though it could be. Lots of motors have a power and a ground wire.
Did any diagrams come with the fan at all?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They're talking about the main cooling fans like the Taurus swap. They pull big amps when just starting up. I think the 6-cyl Mustang uses a 60 amp maxi-fuse to protect the circuit.

Paul

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
I'm sure it did at one time. But that was MANY moons ago! The cooler has the fan already mounted to it and it has it's own two wires. One for power and one for ground. However, the cooler itself also has what looks like a sending unit built in with two electrical leads for blade-type plugs. That is what I'm assuming is a thermostatic switch for the fan.

Not necessarily for a thermostat, though it could be. Lots of motors have a power and a ground wire.
Did any diagrams come with the fan at all?

Paul

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
As a long-retired NAPA counterperson, I am saddened by the ignorance of your counterperson. He/she should seek a more lucrative career in the fast-food industry.

And just to be a poopy-head, I've run a 30A relay on my Taurus fan for five years now. No problem... probably due to the fact that I only use it to switch to manual 'high-speed' position, when the fan's already spinning at low speed via the automatic sensor (and separate relay). Lower amp draw when it's already turning.