• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cage arm install help

kntr

Bronco Guru
Any pointers or things I need to know. It is a pretty easy straight forward job? How long of an install?

dwiriea

It wasn't to bad. I worked on mine over a couple of weekends. All told it probably took me 6-8 hrs working by myself. Having a helper really does make it quicker particularly for taking measurements. The hardest part for me was getting the rear brackets in the right location on both sides. Make sure you take good measurements of your current wheelbase length before you tear it apart so you can get the right wheelbase again. After I got the arm installed on the front axle, I installed the rear hiem joint in the bracket per the instructions. I then used a hydraulic jack to jack the bracket on to the frame rail to hold it in place while I made my measurements. To help measure the bracket locations and make sure they were the same on both sides, I found it easier to measure from the end of the frame rail by the bumper and then also measure the wheelbase from axle to axle. If I need to make adjustments I just lowered the jack and used a large rubber mallet to move the bracket forward or back as needed. After I had the bracket locations set I drilled my holes.

I lightly lubricated the urethane bushings and C bushing (I used a graphite bearing grease) to make them easier to install and bolt on.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Dale

Amac70

ME
definatly get some lube on those bushing my where tight as hell.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Pretty straight forward. Remember to grind the head castings so your lower spring cups sit flush on the arms otherwise you will have a nice spring bow problem.
Another good thing to check and measure before hand is your current caster and after you pull the springs measure what and where your full compression is at with the stock arms.
Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Attachments

• IMG_1042.jpg
    IMG_1042.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 95
OP
OP
kntr

kntr

Bronco Guru
Headers showed up but no Cage arms yet. Both ordered on the same day from different vendors. Gotta love that.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Headers showed up but no Cage arms yet. Both ordered on the same day from different vendors. Gotta love that.

well maybee Monday
I odered two differnt little parts from the same vender, on differnt days.

The part I orderd monday is not here, but the one I ordered wednesday showed up today

Amac70

ME
when did you order your arms? There is only one guy at the shop. I think the rest are at moab for the easter jeep safari. Not trying to worry you. Hope they get there for ya fast.

OP
OP
kntr

kntr

Bronco Guru
They will be here Mon. Im pretty sure. My order was called in from Moab from a PM here on CB. Gotta love the internet.

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
Britt.....are you installing them??? IF so give me a call.....I'll cruise over and give you a hand. Between the two of us we should be able to get them in!!;D

BC

OP
OP
kntr

kntr

Bronco Guru
Im not sure if Im going to have then done or have SIMPSON help me. He has done a set on the tuff truck already.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I just got mine in yesterday went in real easy except for all the powdercoat, damn that stuff is thick and made for a pain fitting some things together, particularly the heims and spacers in the frame brackets, goodness, way too tight of tolerances. It sucks screwing up all that pretty-coat on install.