• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI tank

jbbies

Loc.
Durango
What is needed to convert a fuel tank over for EFI, for an aftermarket steel tank?

Thanks

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
I bought an aftermarket tank....and during the frame up I decided to go fuel injection. The tank I bought has a return line tap in the tank...does your have that????

I see I could have bought a fuel injection specific tank...not sure what the difference is when the other ones can be used for Fi as well.....?:?

flousberg

If BC's tank with the in tank pump was out when I converted I would have went that way. I run an external pump, but it is much better to run an internal one in my opinion.

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
If BC's tank with the in tank pump was out when I converted I would have went that way. I run an external pump, but it is much better to run an internal one in my opinion.

So if you had a brand new regular tank (as I do) would you try and sell it at a loss and buy the efi specific tank????

flousberg

I would if you wouldn't cost too much money.

The intake pumps are better because it is submersed and basically gravity fed so the pump has to do less work and does not have to pull a vacuum. The pressure head at the inlet pump will be positive, density of gas X gravity constant X height of fuel above the pump.

The internal pump will have to pull a vacuum on the suction side. Theoretically, if you mounted the pump below the pickup in the tank then it would siphon to the pump once you got the pump primed. But since the fuel is in a vacuum, it is going to vaporize at a lower temperature and you could lose fuel. This was happening to me in Texas and at higher altitiudes in the mountains. The engine would die, and I would have to wait till the fuel before the pump cooled so the pump could move fuel again.

The cons of an in tank pump is if it fails, you have to pull the tank to change it, but all new gas vehicles with efi have in tank pumps as far as I know. I also know my diesel has a pump on the frame rail but that has its own problems and also has a much higher vaporization temperature than gasoline.

I am actually looking into modifying my existing tank for an in tank pump.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
I took my stock sending unit and sweat on a return line right next to the supply line. It works fine. Make sure your sending unit is working before you do it so you don't do it to a bad unit and have to do it again to a new one, unless fuel level isn't something you care about ;)