• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear shoulder belt conversion?

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Anyonyone know how I might be able to put shoulder belts in the rear of my 74 Bronco? Was trying to figure out how I might upgrade belts without adding a full roll cage.

My first post - Appreciate any help!

Glenn

kaw550

Bronco Guru
Didn't the Geo Tracker had a small hoop type roll bar that went behind the back seat.
I think it was for mounting seat belts. It ws too low to help in a rollover.

You could also look for seats that have the seat belts built in but I guessing most would be too wide.

TAC71

Contributor
I generally run a bikini top and tonneau cover. I built a custom rear seat which the seat back will fold down and the shoulder belt mount will fold down. So when the tonneau is on its almost flat and when the seat is in use the belt mount folds up and two pins hold it up. It almost looks like a set of bull horns when up and just the belt upper mounts are attached to it. The rest of the seat belt mechanism is mounted to the seat main frame. I could take and post some pics if you want.

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Tac71 I would like to see pics because I am also trying to solve this problem in my Bronco. I want the safety of shoulder belts but don't want to alter the Baja rollbar.

TAC71

Contributor
Photos of seat and belts......

Attachments

• 100_4227.jpg
    100_4227.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 100_4228.jpg
    100_4228.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 100_4231.jpg
    100_4231.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 100_4232.jpg
    100_4232.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 109

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
The stock wagon top isn't nearly strong enough for shoulder belts. And the tubing TAC71 used doesn't look thick enough for the kind of load it would get in a collision. I'd start with a family cage, and then weld in bungs for shoulder belt bolts, similar to this:

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
Get a family cage. What's the point of keeping passengers in their seats if they get crushed when you roll?

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
Get a family cage. What's the point of keeping passengers in their seats if they get crushed when you roll?

This sounds right to me. I've got an original with just a '70s style roll bar for the sake of history, but I'll never have another regularly driven Bronco without a full cage. Think of the original top as a sheetmetal soft top.

quikdrummer

Loc.
Chino Valley, AZ
Didn't the Geo Tracker had a small hoop type roll bar that went behind the back seat.
I think it was for mounting seat belts. It ws too low to help in a rollover.

You could also look for seats that have the seat belts built in but I guessing most would be too wide.

I just pulled a bench and seatbelt assembly from a tracker! Your right, there's a weird little hoop that mounts a shoulder belt. As soon as I get my family cage in they are going in