• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Plastic Gas Tank

DonH

Loc.
WA State 30 miles from the beach
My 66 project came with a plastic gas tank. I do not want to fill it because it may have to come out. I see there are a coulpe of different sizes and i am wondering if someone has a measurment that would tell me what size it is.
It is about 20 inches front to rear, 22 inches wide and 11 inches deep. The tank may be about 15 years old if that helps.

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
Plastic main tanks are the same as the stock metal tanks. They were a cheaper replacement for a rusted or dirty old tank. They are of the 12 gallon variety.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Hell,just fill it and drive it,it doesn't take long to burn a tank.....Just keep a new filter handy ...

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
does it look like a stock tank? or is it a large box type? Ill assume its a stock replacement 12 gallon. Its impossible to mistake one for the other!
stock 12 gallon:
http://broncograveyard.com/images/catalog/PLASREARTANK.JPG
aftermarket 23 gallon:
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-10203-23-gallon-rear-fuel-tank.html

Should be obvious what tank it is. Guess you dont have a JBG, Toms, or WH catologue on the tank of your toilet like the rest of us? If you cant figure out the answer yourself you shouldnt own a bronco!

Last edited:
OP
OP
DonH

DonH

Loc.
Hell,just fill it and drive it,it doesn't take long to burn a tank.....Just keep a new filter handy ...

It just might take a long time. You have not seen the gutted out wiring. Its a long push to the station. The tank may have to come out to repair a little rust and twenty gal gas can get heavy.

OP
OP
DonH

DonH

Loc.
does it look like a stock tank? or is it a large box type? Ill assume its a stock replacement 12 gallon. Its impossible to mistake one for the other!
stock 12 gallon:
http://broncograveyard.com/images/catalog/PLASREARTANK.JPG
aftermarket 23 gallon:
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-10203-23-gallon-rear-fuel-tank.html

Should be obvious what tank it is. Guess you dont have a JBG, Toms, or WH catologue on the tank of your toilet like the rest of us? If you cant figure out the answer yourself you shouldnt own a bronco!

Are your catalogs 15 years old or is that your age.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Are your catalogs 15 years old or is that your age.

Dont get pissy...im the only one so far that has helped you out with this question without guessing!

Not to argue with you but i wasnt trying to piss you off. Its just that any rookie thats a true bronco lover would be able to spot a stock tank a block away.

To answer you question yes i have some catalogs (like KbarS) that are maybe 15 years old. But even back then a stock tank looked like a stock tank. And no im not 15 but 20 years ago when i did buy my bronco i was!

Why dont you become a contributer to this site and post a pic of your tank. Giving measurements does nothing to help us answer your question as you can see from they above replys.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
so i posted links to pics of stock and aftermarket tanks. Did you figure out what one you have yet???? Or should i send my GF over to help you decide!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Let me add a wild guess to this as well, is it mounted in the bed and not under the bed?
If so I think you have a generic "fuel cell" plastic gas tank from a speed shop. Most of those "fuel cells" are little more then a poorly mounted version of a plastic fuel can. And if it has been baking in the sun for 15 years pretty much worthless at this point as well.

OP
OP
DonH

DonH

Loc.
Dont get pissy...im the only one so far that has helped you out with this question without guessing!

Not to argue with you but i wasnt trying to piss you off. Its just that any rookie thats a true bronco lover would be able to spot a stock tank a block away.

To answer you question yes i have some catalogs (like KbarS) that are maybe 15 years old. But even back then a stock tank looked like a stock tank. And no im not 15 but 20 years ago when i did buy my bronco i was!

Why dont you become a contributer to this site and post a pic of your tank. Giving measurements does nothing to help us answer your question as you can see from they above replys.

It seems you started this pissen match. I bought my first Bronco new in 1968 when you were chittin yella. I am new to this board but I have been around. I do reconize a stock tank and this one is not stock and it is not a 12 gal tank.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
It seems you started this pissen match. I bought my first Bronco new in 1968 when you were chittin yella. I am new to this board but I have been around. I do reconize a stock tank and this one is not stock and it is not a 12 gal tank.

Well than answer you own question! Without pics were all pissen in the wind!

Fill up your bathtub. Put a mark at the water level. Push your tank in the water and mark the new water level. Do some math and figure out how much water was displaced. Sonds easyer than us pissing all over ourselvs!

Or fill it up with water and weigh it. take that weight subtract the weight of just the tank. Divide that by 8 and the answer is how big it is

OP
OP
DonH

DonH

Loc.
Well than answer you own question! Without pics were all pissen in the wind!

Fill up your bathtub. Put a mark at the water level. Push your tank in the water and mark the new water level. Do some math and figure out how much water was displaced. Sonds easyer than us pissing all over ourselvs!

Or fill it up with water and weigh it. take that weight subtract the weight of just the tank. Divide that by 8 and the answer is how big it is

Thats the kinda advice I would expect from someone that drives a Bronco replaca.

matts460

Well anyway LMC and NPD have stock appearing replacment PLASTIC fuel tanks of 13gallon capacity and stock appearing plastic AUX tanks that hold 11gallons. Good chance somthing like that was installed on the old Bronco to replace rusted unit?

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
Wow. Way to treat the new board members bkn.

DonH, it might be possible that someone has transplanted a Bronco II or Full Size Bronco polyethylene main tank into your EB. If you can post a pic as a contributor, or link a pic from a free photo host like flickr or imageshack we can better help identify it.