• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1977 rear tank question

popedaddy

Loc.
Central Mississippi
Recap: i bought a bronco with a repaired stock tank that isnt installed. I need to figure out whether to install it and see if it still leaks or go with another new/used tank..

The only replacement tanks I have come across require a lift in order to install them. Is this really the case? Has anyone installed one without the lift?

Is there a replacement tank out there that doesnt require a lift?

I dont really need a 23 gallon tank to putt around town but it would be nice I guess...but i really dont want to have to install a lift just to get a new tank.

Just wanted to get some input. Any solutions are welcome..thanks.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
They have plastic welders now and I guess it would depend on who's doing the work.

Worse case you could line the tank if the repair looks to be solid.

Or you could go to a steel tank.

I was happy to not have a steel tank because the truck sat for a while which most likely meant I would have been replacing the tank. However, there is a concern with ethanol that it may swell like a lot of bike manufacturers have been finding out.

77-302

Loc.
Canton, MI
BTW, just dropped my original tank (77) and replaced fuel filler neck, vent and sender lines. I did it on my hoist but if you are patient you could do it on the ground with jack stands. the trick is being able to tip it down on the passenger side so the filler neck can be pulled between the body and the frame. If you leave them attached that is...

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I bought our '77 new. Within two years both plastic tanks had cracked. The main at the sending unit and the aux at the filler port. I replaced both with Aero tanks and had no lift at the time. Both of those Aero tanks are still in service.

jhickman1

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
A small hole was punched in the bottom of my rear tank on the '77. It looked like it was done with a screwdriver tip. I used a product made by Goop that worked on plastic and it said it was oil and gas resistant. It was clear like silicon. I applied a layer and let it dry and then another and another. I put fuel in it and it hasn't leak yet. That was about 6 or 7 years ago!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Where are you finding tanks that require a lift popedaddy? Never seen one of those myself.

The larger tanks do hang down some more than stock, so that might be why some people say you need a lift.
The larger tanks are available specifically for a body-lifted Bronco, but it's not a requirement to use one. Even the body lift version will work without a body lift, with some brands.
There are adjustable types too, for use with or without a body lift. But again, none is required for use with the tank.

The only caveat to the larger tanks is with the 23 gallon NWMP (non-body lift) version physically WON'T fit with a body lift without some extra spacers.

Any way to test yours with air of water/fuel before you install it?

Paul

Last edited:

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
On a 76 bronco my Sister owned for ten years the plastic tank leaked...all ten years......We tried so many fixes...none worked...Replace with a big steel one...

a74ranger

Loc.
Athens, GA
I have a good tank off my '77 that I replaced with a larger tank that I would be willing to sell. PM me if you are interested.

OP
OP
P

popedaddy

Loc.
Central Mississippi
Thanks for the info guys. I will probably just order the new 23 gallon tank. Hate to spend that kind of money on it but repairing a repaired tank probably isnt my best option.

77-302 i sent you a message.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
My 23 gallon tank was installed by the previous owner in 1995. I've been rear ended twice and my NWMP tank is just fine. It is an investment well worth the cost. You will be safer, your family will be safer and your Bronco will be safer too. Make sure to order a new filler and vent hose too when you get the tank.
Good luck!
:cool:

pabluni

Loc.
Beaufort NC
Just dropped my "77 main tank to check it out and to replace a dry-rotted filler hose using jack stands. Tank was in excellent shape, but had to replace swiss cheese skid plate. Biggest pain was putting everything back in and making connections. '77 tank is strapped to skid plate which bolts to frame. Together they are very heavy and very little room to install. I ended up installing tank only to make all the connections and then lifting skid plate to place with floor jack to bolt in. So my tank is no longer strapped to skid plate but with the tight fit it shouldn't be an issue. Best advice, don't lift rear so high that you're straining to reach everything while laying on a creeper. Lift, tranny jack, and extra sets of hands would help, but it can be done with jack stands.

speedyvt6

Loc.
Bristow
Where did you all find a vent hose for the '77 main tank? I ordered one that was supposed to fit but the hose is 5/8" ID (fits the filler neck) but my (stock) tank has a 7/8" fitting. It looks like the original hose was a special peice that bells out to 7/8 on one end, but no one sells a hose like that. I can adapt from 7/8 to 5/8 but non of my local parts stores have 7/8 hose. Any suggestions?

jhickman1

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
Where did you all find a vent hose for the '77 main tank? I ordered one that was supposed to fit but the hose is 5/8" ID (fits the filler neck) but my (stock) tank has a 7/8" fitting. It looks like the original hose was a special peice that bells out to 7/8 on one end, but no one sells a hose like that. I can adapt from 7/8 to 5/8 but non of my local parts stores have 7/8 hose. Any suggestions?

The vent hose is not as big of a deal because it will rarely have to contain liquid fuel. I think we used a 3/4 so we forced one end and clamped it real tight on the other. The real bad one was the filler hose from the filler neck to the tank. The original starts off as one size, drops a size, crimps to fit under a support rail, turns down and at an angle the flares out to the biggest size on the whole hose. All this takes place in about 10 inches. Whats bad is, nobody has it (at least not a few years ago). Duff said they had it but when it arrived it didnt work as well as Jeffs and the rest of them. We ended up making our own out of hoses and a pipe in the middle. I have pics that I can email if anybody finds the same problem. It has been several years so I forgot some of the particulars but I have a couple pics after installation.