• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How far does a CB radio reach?

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi Guys,

So I've never used a CB before and would like to ask you for some basic advice.

So here are my questions:

1. How far of a distance does a CB work from?
2. What brands are good OR what brands should I stay away from?
3. Does size matter? I'm referring to the antenna!
4. Hand held CBs or in dash?

After the disaster in Japan my family and I have been working on revising our emergency earthquake plans and we're considering keeping CBs in the cars, especially since cell service might be down.

Thank you in advance as always for your great info!

Chris

Ratch

Hi Guys,

So I've never used a CB before and would like to ask you for some basic advice.

So here are my questions:

1. How far of a distance does a CB work from?
2. What brands are good OR what brands should I stay away from?
3. Does size matter? I'm referring to the antenna!
4. Hand held CBs or in dash?

After the disaster in Japan my family and I have been working on revising our emergency earthquake plans and we're considering keeping CBs in the cars, especially since cell service might be down.

Thank you in advance as always for your great info!

Chris

An out of the box CB radio is good for 5-15 miles depending on antenna, terrain, atmospheric conditions, and amount of traffic on the channel. If you have it tuned, it can reach quite a bit farther.

Cobra and Uniden are both considered top of the line as far as commonly available brands.

Antenna choice is important, and having your radio tuned to the antenna is critical if you want to maximize the performance. Back in the day, I had a $20 wall mart Roadmaster 40 channel that I had tuned to a 102" steel whip that would walk all over an out of the box Cobra LTD Classic. I do not want to advise anyone to do anything illegal but there are amplifiers that can greatly extend range. But the FCC really frowns on it. Don't ask me how I know:-X

Hand held CB's are ok if you want to flag down a passing trucker for roadside assistance, but for disaster communication I wouldn't expect much.

If you are serious about this I would suggest getting a HAM radio license. HAM operators have always been involved in providing communication support of disaster relief efforts. I am not a HAM operator, but I used to hang out with a few. Google turned this up. http://www.arrl.org/

Hope that helps you out.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
A CB out of the box reaching 5 miles is only in ideal conditions. There are still alot of devices that emit or transmit an AM frequency which kills the effective distance. The absolute best antenna you can get for any of them is a 102" stainless whip. This is a true quarter wave non loaded antenna, but the antenna is only as good as its base. The best location is in the center of a roof so as you have seen guys mount them on bumpers, the side of the vehicle to keep height down, it downplays the true power of the antenna but even mounting it low on your vehicle it will be much better than someone running a fiberglass loaded antenna. Now I have not heard or seen an FCC officer in over 20 years... that being said does not mean they do not exist out there but most truckers typically run a 10 meter radio re-tuned to run CB (Citizens Band). A10 meter will push out 50 watts compared to a CB which is only supposed to run 12 watts. (A tuned CB will push 20 - 25 watts but eventuall will burn out the secondarys due to the excessive heat). The other feature when a 10 meter is reconfigured to CB, it basically becomes a side band radio allowing you to choose frequencys just off of the normal 40 CB is allowed to run. Its outlaw radio and alot do it. For emergency purposes though, I would look into a outlaw radio for long distance comm. With that radio you will be able to hit some HAM frequencys and these are the true emergency comm guys. Ham will literally talk around the world on good nights that they can achieve skip.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Any input on SWR meters to adjust the antenna? I use a CB in my work truck and it isn't doing what I think it should.

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I always thought Chuck Norris should have built his own brand...

Attachments

• chuck.jpg
    chuck.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 46

BroncoDawg

Loc.
Bishop, CA
Wouldn't put much faith in CB for disaters as they don't have much reach even when matched to the antenna. Out of the box they only put out 5 watts and if they reach 5 miles you're doing well.
The tall steel whip antennas work the best, but they are dangerous for trail rigs to use as anyone standing near your rig in tough terrain is in danger of getting hit by them. That's why you don't see them much anymore. Put a 4 footer in the center of your roof for best performance.
Got my ham license a while back and no comparison in the performance and range and only keep a cb since so many still use them on the trail.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
Ratch is right about HAM radio, me and my daughter are operators. a lot of 2 meter, 220, and 440 frequencies use repeater towers, and almost all of them are on battery backup in case the power goes out. there's a few local repeaters that are tied world wide, i've talked to many different countries.

HF is even better, no repeaters needed because the signal uses skip to get out. little more for the equipment and you need a bigger antenna, but more chance of getting contact.

CB all depends on where you are. where we are with all the hills, maybe a few miles. on the other hand i was driving across utah a few years ago and i was talking to someone 40 miles away. of course my CB was pushing 45 watts.

Pokey71

Bronco Guru
Also to fine tune the antenna,
The extra wire from the antenna to the CB needs to be pinched. Loop the excess and zip tie the middle so it looks like a bow. Don't ask why but it works. I have been told my many people that this helps.

OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi Guys,

Interesting... what do the police use? Ignorant question but are ham radios portable?

Thanks and please keep the info flowing!
Chris

NYLES

Bronco Guru
how far are you wanting to talk? diff ways to do it but a range here would be good

mortimersnerd

Hi Guys,

Interesting... what do the police use? Ignorant question but are ham radios portable?

Chris

You can get handheld ham radios, but they're not as powerful, just like handheld CB radios.

mortimersnerd

Hi Guys,

Chris

You can get handheld ham radios, but they're not as powerful, just like handheld CB radios.

epicadventure

Loc.
Woodburn, KY
The extra wire from the antenna to the CB needs to be pinched. Loop the excess and zip tie the middle so it looks like a bow. Don't ask why but it works. I have been told my many people that this helps.

It has to do with inductance. If you figure eight the extra, it cancels it out.

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru

It has to do with inductance. If you figure eight the extra, it cancels it out.

Come on guys, you have to stop believing everything you hear and read. Not true. Unless you possibly have either defective or extremely cheap coax and by some strange chance it may have matched better by crunching it into a loop or ball. Purely by luck or chance only.

Amateur (Ham) handhelds are basically VHF/UHF portables used to access repeaters as 73stallion mentioned. These are a given (licensed hams) for local emergency communications.

To the OP. By your statement i think your intent for the most part is to stay in touch locally with your family, not necessarilly communicate across the globe. Unless your entire family (regardless of how small) is willing to learn electronic theory and Amateur rules and regulations and take tests (which i would highly recomend and sure you would enjoy) Then i would stick with CB.

To make it simple purchase a couple of AM units Cobra/Uniden as Ratch mentioned and maybe one SSB (single side band) unit for yourself. Puchase some inexpensive, quality K40 or Wilson 1000 or equiv. magnetic mount antennas for easy removal and storage. Purchase an inexpensive SWR meter and familiarize how to tune/match your systems (it's easy). This will familiarize yourself better with how the system works and how you can check for problems if they arise further down the road.

Depending upon your terrain, location and the current propagation your AM rigs "CAN" get much further than 5 miles. At times, again depending on previously mentioned you may only get a couple miles. Your SSB and AM rigs can reach great distances during good skip propagation. I used to talk regularly to England on CB SSB as well as AM with both mobile and base units. Don't get too involved with the Highpower CB stuff unless your well educated on matching and installing them. I can't tell you how many individuals systems i repaired or junked due to inexperience or inadequate hook-ups as well as being costly.

OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Thanks again for more info. Dave and everyone else.

The terrain is West Los Angeles; buildings, some small hills, parking structures, the 405 freeway, and traffic... lots of traffic. So it sounds like CB's will be in the near future for family members B-Days. Maybe I'll get a pair and test them out around town.

Hmm...zzz...

Pokey71

Bronco Guru
Come on guys, you have to stop believing everything you hear and read. Not true. Unless you possibly have either defective or extremely cheap coax and by some strange chance it may have matched better by crunching it into a loop or ball. Purely by luck or chance only.

BUMPING for an answer not a statement.

Can you explain why my theory is flawed? Also What do you do with your extra coax?

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
Hi Guys,

Chris

with my handheld on 3 watts power i talked to someone on the catalina island repeater from grassy valley up in wrightwood. many people use handhelds. i can hit catalina from dana point with 1/2 watt power. i can talk to saddleback mountain repeaters on 2 watts from INSIDE LAX. just a few examples.