• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Brake Line Problems

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
So I ordered a new brake line kit from one of the vendors and I have stumped in a few areas. First the long piece that runs along the frame comes up about 8-10 inches short of the H-block which is where it’s supposed to connect. Anyone else had this problem?

Also, the hose that connects to the front axle to the H- block is not correct at all. The vendor sent me an adapter but it does not seem to be correct.

First picture is of the old hose next to the new one,along with the adapter they sent.

Second picture is the new brake line coming from the rear and shows how short it is. You can’t see the H block but it’s a good 8 inches short.

Anybody had a kit that is this far off?

Attachments

• 35923050-6FA8-4BAE-9B2A-24E1B7E10A55.jpg
    35923050-6FA8-4BAE-9B2A-24E1B7E10A55.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 8A1F4413-2561-42DF-845B-C56E3109C95C.jpg
    8A1F4413-2561-42DF-845B-C56E3109C95C.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 87

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The flex hose looks like a rear instead.
The hard line looks like it's for the '68 and later models, that actually have an H-block.

Your '67 still has a single reservoir master cylinder?

Paul

OP
OP
NashBronco

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
Paul,
It is the exact same as the rear one they sent two and said one was for the front. They sent 4 hoses. See pic. Not sure what the 2hoses with bangonfitting on each end are?

My 67 has a dual reservoir mc. I accidentally ordered the kit for a single mc and called to return and they said keep it and they would send the different parts. So the sent the small adapter and the two coiled lines to go from the H block to mc.

Attachments

• E1F7A83E-1E3F-4205-A5B4-FDD1121814EC.jpg
    E1F7A83E-1E3F-4205-A5B4-FDD1121814EC.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 56

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm not as familiar with the early hoses as I should be, but I wonder if yours was part of a transition?
Did it have a dual master from the factory do you think? Or would it have been swapped in later?
Any idea what month yours was built in?

The early models may have mated to the frame in the front the same as in the rear then, with it clipped to a frame bracket and the short metal bit to mate up with some other fitting.
The way the later ones work is that the hose has a "block" on the end similar to the axle end, that actually bolts to the frame. From there a short section of hard line runs to the H-block mounted up on top of the frame rail near the clutch cross-link.

I don't have any pics handy at the moment, but we should compare how things are on yours compared to other known correct setups for early and late models.
I'll look for some pics, but in the meantime hopefully someone else will have some to post up.

Paul

OP
OP
NashBronco

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
I think it had a dual mc from the factory. This was a December 66 build date so I am sure there is some transition going on.

The “factory” front brakes follow this path. Large reservoir to Hblock and Hblock to hose mounted on the side of the frame. The hose then leads to the axle and ties into both sides and holds the breather tube. I don’t see a hose like that in my kit. Maybe they don’t make one?

The rear brakes follow this path. Small reservoir to Hblock and Hblock directly into the line that runs along the frame. Then hose that ties into the axle. (All of my rear set up is fine.)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think it had a dual mc from the factory. This was a December 66 build date so I am sure there is some transition going on.

Probably did. Normally December would put it near the beginning of the second quarter of the model year production, which usually runs from September through the next August, but not sure when the '67 year schedule ran.
But if I remember now, it was the '67 model year that the dual circuit masters were required, not '68 like I had previously remembered.
Federal regulation too, so likely there was no transition, again like I thought I remembered.

But that also means that you should have the H-block in the normal location.
I think we need to see a pic of the top of your frame with H-block and we can compare locations to others. If correct, maybe your too-short rear line is made for a '76 and '77 with full proportioning type combo valve.

The “factory” front brakes follow this path: Large reservoir to Hblock and Hblock to hose mounted on the side of the frame. The hose then leads to the axle and ties into both sides and holds the breather tube.

Sounds like all the others. If so, then I think you simply got the wrong hose both times. Your front hose should have the blocks at both ends.
The lower end has the hole for the breather bolt, and two ports where the lines attach. The upper end on the frame should have just a hole for the attaching bolt and a single threaded port for the hard line to the H-block.
Just as it sounds like yours is.

I don’t see a hose like that in my kit. Maybe they don’t make one?

Yep, all later hoses are the same at that point. So they should have sent you the one that looks just like your old one.
We have them here: Front Brake Hose - Center and you can see in the picture that it's more like your existing one than it is the ones you received.
Maybe the place you got them didn't have any, or made a mistake. Likely they have the correct replacement and you can get confirmation tomorrow.

The rear brakes follow this path:
Small reservoir to Hblock and Hblock directly into the line that runs along the frame. Then hose that ties into the axle. (All of my rear set up is fine.)

Got a pic?

Thanks

Paul

OP
OP
NashBronco

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
So I am making some progress... I got the correct line going to the rear brakes and the hose that connects the front brakes to the h-block. Now the issue is the MC brake lines that connect to the H block.

So, if I understand correct, the rear (large) reservoir is supposed to connect to the front brakes. However when I connect that to my MC and then to the Hblock, it goes to the rear. The size of the lines is different so they can be changed.

Are there different MC brake lines for a dual reservoir?

The first picture. The yellow circle runs to the rear brakes. The green circle runs to the large reservoir. The blue circle runs to the front and the red circle (not connected) runs to the small reservoir

The second picture shows the line co. Edged to the rear reservoir of the Mc.

Attachments

• D6DC2F2C-F77F-4C45-9434-D5FCFF82486E.jpg
    D6DC2F2C-F77F-4C45-9434-D5FCFF82486E.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 9BFD1883-3C41-42B3-B323-57D5F42A77AC.jpg
    9BFD1883-3C41-42B3-B323-57D5F42A77AC.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 42

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow, good progress. What did you do to get the long rear line to line up with the H-block finally?

And yes too, that the rearmost, larger reservoir is for the front brakes. Same for most vehicles.
Are you saying that both the inlets and the outlets are keyed to a specific size tube fitting? So you can't swap either one for the other at this point?
I'm just throwing that out there, because it really does not look feasible to swap the outlet tubes to the brakes side to side anyway. Just due to their shape and location on the frame.
But I wanted to make sure.

Besides, that's how they're normally routed out to the brakes anyway, as far as I remember. So no issue on the output side of the H-block that I can see.
Only the input side. Or the output side of the master.

I know the factory likes to key things so you can't put them on wrong, but I've never seen a Ford that did not have their hose front-to-back and back-to-front when it came to the master-to-distribution block.

Did you buy that hard line from a Bronco vendor too? Or is that a regular auto store off-the-shelf piece?
If local, that's probably why. The OE's didn't all follow the same piper when it came to fitting sizes, and tubing manufacturers don't follow Ford specifically when it comes to tubing sizes.
Are your tube fitting sizes the same at both ends?

Sorry you're coming up against brick walls at every turn (or stop!) but I still see light at the end of the tunnel. Might be just time for some tubing adapters, or custom tubes.

Paul

suckerpunched

The size of the lines is different so they can't be changed.

Is the line size different or just the fitting. On some vehicles the line to the rear is 1/4' and the front is 3/16. as I recall, the bronco setup is 3/16 front and rear but the fitting size is different at the master cylinder ports. what I have done in the past is harvest the fittings from a wrecking yard as they are not readily available new, and make my own lines with a flaring tool using the harvested fittings to make the connections. In other words, if the actual line size is the same. cut the fittings off the mc end, swap them, and reflare the lines. you will lose a little length on your steel lines, if they are not long enough, you will have to get a piece of line from NAPA or equivalent and make them up new using your original fittings.

OP
OP
NashBronco

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
So I took a look at the original mc brake line and compared it to the line bought from the bronco vendor. They are definitely different on the Hblock side. See pictures. This is the line that connects to the large reservoir on the mc. First pic shows they are the same size where it connects to the mc. However, second picture shows they are different thread sizes on the end that connects to the hblock. So I am not crazy, well not about this.

Are there different size mc brake lines based on year? Wondering if I have mc lines for a different year.

I can use my factory lines for the time being but would like to find the correct mc lines.

Attachments

• 5E8B8847-C917-4423-A117-3E3B4A7E6D07.jpg
    5E8B8847-C917-4423-A117-3E3B4A7E6D07.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 67F6B967-948F-4FCC-BE85-941A216E0EA9.jpg
    67F6B967-948F-4FCC-BE85-941A216E0EA9.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 26

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
dig around on frame and see if there is a hole to mount the h block closer to line.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So I took a look at the original mc brake line and compared it to the line bought from the bronco vendor. They are definitely different on the Hblock side. See pictures. This is the line that connects to the large reservoir on the mc. First pic shows they are the same size where it connects to the mc. However, second picture shows they are different thread sizes on the end that connects to the hblock. So I am not crazy, well not about this.

Are there different size mc brake lines based on year? Wondering if I have mc lines for a different year.

I can use my factory lines for the time being but would like to find the correct mc lines.

That variation in the thread diameter of those flare nuts on MC's, h-blocks and prop valves has driven former parts counter men like me insane over the last 40 years. Many/most of the new and remanned MCs come with the necessary adapter fittings to take care of most of the variations. Me...I keep a complete inventory of every single one of those possible nuts (would you believe there are no less than 6??) for the 3/16 brake line, and make my own lines.

A NAPA store will/should have the brass adapter fitting selection to match the line to the ports.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
That variation in the thread diameter of those flare nuts on MC's, h-blocks and prop valves has driven former parts counter men like me insane over the last 40 years. Many/most of the new and remanned MCs come with the necessary adapter fittings to take care of most of the variations. Me...I keep a complete inventory of every single one of those possible nuts (would you believe there are no less than 6??) for the 3/16 brake line, and make my own lines.

A NAPA store will/should have the brass adapter fitting selection to match the line to the ports.

I also got mine at NAPA. Need a store with a good guy behind the counter.

OP
OP
NashBronco

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
Well I ended up using the original Mc lines. They are still in great shape. Still weird that these came from a bronco vendor and are different than original lines. Nothing against the vendor. They have been great to deal with. And to remind you, I ordered the wrong brake line kit to begin with.