• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front Driveshaft Time

pipeline010

Hey guys, back again for the 2nd time this week.

Finally pulled the front driveshaft. Unlike the rear, which needed the rear most ujoint repped, the fronts issue is at the cv. Pulling that apart made me realize I may as well just do them all in there.

The one that had failed (god knows when) literally had shattered sections of the bearing caps and two caps had no bearings at all.

As far as the cardan joint, it didnt look so hot but ok and some bearing pins fell out during removal. May as well rep.

Now to question - there's nothing special with this joint rep, right? I'm great at erector sets, so following disassemble old / reassemble new, right?

Ran into a couple posts that made me 2nd guess that strategy. Got a couple pics for state of the driveshaft and cv. Going to prep and POR the stiff parts while they're out (ie-not the sliding shaft).

Note - yes I marked the shaft ends and yokes for proper reassembly.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20181208_182952.jpg
    20181208_182952.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 20181208_183027.jpg
    20181208_183027.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 55

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I usually run a brake cylinder hone through the yokes to clean them up and make assembly a little easier.
Good luck

OP
OP
pipeline010

pipeline010

Good tip, thanks Ron. So nothing special here, no trips to the driveshaft shop right?

I'm gonna rep all 3 ujoint and the 1 cardan joint.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
pipeline010,
In what condition is the slip joint? Does it wobble a little bit? If it is good continue on with the rebuild, if not get another drive shaft.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You are "lucky"..that centering post on the end of the driveshaft looks to be in perfect condition; those are often buggered up real badly when run with u-joints completely gone.

OP
OP
pipeline010

pipeline010

You are "lucky"..that centering post on the end of the driveshaft looks to be in perfect condition; those are often buggered up real badly when run with u-joints completely gone.

ya. PO mentioned the front shaft making a noise in 4wd when loading it on the car carrier. I haven't engaged the 4wd ever until the snow last week, and then just a 2 mile trip at low speed. noise confirmed so I took it off.

I don't know when it began to look like that, but I don't think it was actually driven on for any length of time after failure.

Last edited: