• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

TBP reproduction steering wheel

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN
I noticed that Tom's has his 66-73 repop steering wheel on sale for $149. I think that is a good price. My 66 has several cracks and a gouge where a ring must of worn into it after all the years. I was going to try and fix with body filler and new paint, but at Tom's sale price it seems like thats the way to go. Has anyone bought one and installed it. just curious how good of quality it is and if it is a easy replacement with the original horn and parts. It is fairly a new item, just been on their website for a couple of years. This sort of sets off a red flag in ways that it might not be a good product and they are selling them cheaper now. (this may be way off base, they are a great vendor) I hope someone has some experience and feedback. BTY, hopefully this will be under my tree Christmas morning:)

JCBombardier

I love mine. Very close to the original and worth the price in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I don’t have one but I checked them out at SC last year and compared them to the Dennis Carpenter wheel. In my opinion the wheels from Tom’s are well worth the money.

At that time, Tom’s did not yet have the 74-77 wheel so I went with the Dennis Carpenter one. I had to do a good bit of sanding and polishing to eliminate mold lines etc... I did not notice that being an issue on Tom’s 66-73 wheels. They were finished much better.

OP
OP
T-Bird

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN
Wow, Very fast replies. Thanks guys. This is what I was hoping for. I think Santa will be bringing me one. LOL

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
My 66 has several cracks and a gouge where a ring must of worn into it after all the years. I was going to try and fix with body filler and new paint

Body filler is a bad idea on steering wheels, they flex too much and it shatters.
The most successful filler I know of has been PC-7 epoxy paste.... or a new wheel will work.

OP
OP
T-Bird

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN
Body filler is a bad idea on steering wheels, they flex too much and it shatters.
The most successful filler I know of has been PC-7 epoxy paste.... or a new wheel will work.

Eastwood has a kit with the epoxy paste just for steering wheels, but it's about the 1/3 price of a Tom's new wheel.

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Received one as a Christmas gift 2 years ago. Nice quality, easy to install and very happy with it. Can’t say the same about the horn ring repop (was not from Toms). My original had fewer blemishes and fit better so it went back on.

They have put them on sale from time to time, would not hesitate to buy another if needed.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I wonder if it's possibly made of better Modern materials. Perhaps these newer ones from Tom and Dennis Carpenter won't crack in the future as soon as our Originals did. I still have my original wheel hard to imagine having anything else after 35 years of ownership. But if mine ever gets too rough a new one from Tom's might be perfect.

Joe473

I wonder if it's possibly made of better Modern materials. Perhaps these newer ones from Tom and Dennis Carpenter won't crack in the future as soon as our Originals did. I still have my original wheel hard to imagine having anything else after 35 years of ownership. But if mine ever gets too rough a new one from Tom's might be perfect.
I just bought one during black Friday. It arrived yesterday and looks nice at first glance. I'll get it installed after Christmas and see if I find any issues. One thing I noticed is horn pads seem like plated steel. Were originals copper or brass?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here’s a pic of an original - plated steel as well.

Attachments

• E9B5CDC1-DF6E-481D-919A-91FC32EE9597.jpg
    E9B5CDC1-DF6E-481D-919A-91FC32EE9597.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 38

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ditto on the plated steel - both sides.

Attachments

• 14DE7ECF-DEA1-46B8-AF49-F538CFA1581F.jpg
    14DE7ECF-DEA1-46B8-AF49-F538CFA1581F.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
T-Bird

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN
I just bought one during black Friday. It arrived yesterday and looks nice at first glance. I'll get it installed after Christmas and see if I find any issues.

Joe. Is the plastic a glossy finish or more of a dull finish?