• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering Box Reinforcement

lgdpt

4x4x2 box. I have this plate reinforcement I acquired at some point. I took it apart bc I can’t get my steering shaft on.... I’m wondering if this plate goes on the inside of the frame or the outside? I can get it on the outside easily but the the steering shaft hits the inner fender. So that must be wrong.

So it must go on the inside? Anyone have pictures? I can’t seem to get it right.

Thank you

Attachments

• B857C36C-95B9-40AA-85FF-149AA1A21443.jpg
    B857C36C-95B9-40AA-85FF-149AA1A21443.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 70
  • BDFC3826-48A5-4C0B-8174-2F2CF1DBBAF2.jpg
    BDFC3826-48A5-4C0B-8174-2F2CF1DBBAF2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 4AB2A873-6C93-475D-8817-E9722D69D4D7.jpg
    4AB2A873-6C93-475D-8817-E9722D69D4D7.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 67

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I think that is the adapter plate and not a reinforcement plate. I think that plate bolts to the outside of the frame to give you the new bolt pattern for the 4x4x2 box to bolt to. Are all of the holes threaded?
The reinforcement plates are usually about 1/4" thick and only have the 4x4x2 box holes (3 of them). Those holes are not threaded as the bolts go all the way through the frame. This is after you re drill the holes and reinforce them.
The original bolt pattern for the Bronco box are a little different than the 4x4x2 box. I think B.C. Broncos sold those plates like you have and I believe there are some instructions on their site as well.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I believe it goes on the outside of frame. You may need to clearance the wheel tub for the shaft. Ken

OP
OP
lgdpt

lgdpt

Yes! You are right..thank you langester. it is threaded and only seems to go on the outside so it has to be an adapter plate... but thesnvwhy is my steering box not allowing the shaft to go on without hitting that inner fender?

It’s like I need half an inch. Has anybody else experienced that?

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
What year is your Bronco? I think the ones that came with power steering from the factory had a crease in the fender well to allow clearance for the shaft. Not positive.

OP
OP
lgdpt

lgdpt

What year is your Bronco? I think the ones that came with power steering from the factory had a crease in the fender well to allow clearance for the shaft. Not positive.

1970 thanks for the link. I appreciate it

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, later wheel wells had the crease, and even later ones had an angle for the power brake booster to clear.
But even with later ones your shaft will not always clear. I helped a friend with a '77 and his wheel well definitely had all the factory changes, but the lower aftermarket joint definitely hit the sheet metal.

It's just one of the reasons I don't like the big thick plates. I like that they reinforce the frame, but they stick out too far and, in way too many cases, keep the gearbox located too far back.
If your box is too far back, or tilted wrong, the pitman arm can hit the tie-rod when the suspension is flexing.

So while it appears you're still in the lining-things-up phase, definitely check for clearance before welding anything permanently.

Paul

OP
OP
lgdpt

lgdpt

Thanks Paul. I didn’t realize I still had welding to do... I’m assuming the adapter plate needs to be welded to the frame? My frame is powder coated so I hope not....

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's absolutely a weld-on item. And precisely why powder coated frames are such a pain.
Unless you're the type that can plan four years into the future and don't mind assembling things, then taking them apart, then doing it three or four more times, just to make sure the frame is exactly how it's going to be.
Then you can powder coat it!

But in your case, if you're set on using the brace, I would simply bite the bullet and do it. Grind off the coating, weld things on, then spray paint the closest color you can to match the powder and hope it doesn't show up too much.

You may even want to check out the instructions for our Extreme Steering System: https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.wildhorses4x4.com/downloads/WH/2004 07-23-18.pdf to see if it gives you any ideas, or "alternate facts" to help with your installation.

Paul

OP
OP
lgdpt

lgdpt

It's absolutely a weld-on item. And precisely why powder coated frames are such a pain.
Unless you're the type that can plan four years into the future and don't mind assembling things, then taking them apart, then doing it three or four more times, just to make sure the frame is exactly how it's going to be.
Then you can powder coat it!

But in your case, if you're set on using the brace, I would simply bite the bullet and do it. Grind off the coating, weld things on, then spray paint the closest color you can to match the powder and hope it doesn't show up too much.

You may even want to check out the instructions for our Extreme Steering System: https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.wildhorses4x4.com/downloads/WH/2004 07-23-18.pdf to see if it gives you any ideas, or "alternate facts" to help with your installation.

Paul

Thanks Paul, Please help my pea brain....

Should I just go to another PS box that wouldn't need that adapter plate? I'm running 31's... this will be my around town daily driver and my off-roading will be casual... nothing hard core or extreme. I mean at this point Im going to be grinding off the frame P-coat and reshaping my inner fender....What would you do if you were me?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
For 31 inch tires you don't need the 4x4x2 steering box that adapter plate is meant for. you can use a steering box that is more of a direct bolt on.

PDQ

Contributor
Outside of the frame and the wheel well will need to be clearanced a bit.

I am treading lightly here as will always give the nod to Paul for his expertise, but I believe it was designed to not need to be welded. I would guess that welding is always better, but I believe it was originally marketed as a bolt on adapter/ re-inforcement plate. I drove mine without having it welded with no issues, but no hard core wheeling either.

For whatever its worth, and your set up looks darn clean already.

Attachments

• WCB steering box plate.jpg
    WCB steering box plate.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 40
  • diyrc13-800.jpg
    diyrc13-800.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 42

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I agree...powder coating a frame for me anyway is absolutely worthless as I can't plan that far ahead!! LOL

I've had my Bronco since '76...about every 4 years or so it goes through another metamorphisis...this last one was a big one and the frame got modified...a bunch. Less than a year after a total rebuild (last year) I need to weld on the frame again as I'm moving my strg box and extending my track bar mount outside the frame...not much, but it evolves...it's never done...don't know how you guys "do- it"... :)

On your rig for it being a street rig I'd go with a stock Bronco box. Bolts on, works good, no mod's...

Good luck and enjoy your Bronco!

OP
OP
lgdpt

lgdpt

Thanks guys. I think a direct bolt 4 turn box would be better for me. Now I need to figure out where to get one.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...I am treading lightly here as will always give the nod to Paul for his expertise, but I believe it was designed to not need to be welded.

Hah! No worries PDQ, I'm not all knowing, just a know-it-all!%)
But I've only ever seen them welded, and don't remember the original marketing strategy.
If it works as a sandwich, so much the better.

But lgdpt, as has already been said, I too feel that you do not need to go to the trouble. Your frame rails are plenty strong for 31" tires and mild use. And so is a stock box.
However, if you don't have a stock box, consider the new ones that are sold these days, that are a modified version of a Delphi box that bolts right to the Bronco frame in the stock holes. Bolt-on Aftermarket Gearbox

It's arguably stronger than a stock original, and likely less expensive for just the box in most cases (Stock Gearbox w/Quick Ratio) and you could even add the fourth hole if you felt it was needed.
But if you have a stock box already you could rebuild it or have it rebuilt for less than the cost of an entire rebuilt box.

So you still have choices, and they're going to be more reasonable than your much larger 4x4x2 box.
And no adapters...

Paul

OP
OP
lgdpt

lgdpt

Thank you Paul, that sounds like the right plan for me. I appreciate it!