• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 60 in Bronco

zerostar2410

Contributor
looks BAD A$$. what years do the easiest Dana 60 installs come from? what should i look for/not look for when searching for my 60?

OP
OP
rhinobuggie

rhinobuggie

I am running a 5 1/2 lift . As for the many say the 78-79 D 60's are the best but what I found from the center of the pinion to outside of the steering knuckle is 1/2 inch less than a stock Bronco 44 so no need to cut the drivers side . on 78 to 84 the pinion is move to the center of the housing , 85 to 89 are the same as my 86 . This is a big plus when you run a C6 with a 205 or my case a Stak mini monster T case . Ford D 60's are high pinion too , = better driveshaft angle and more ground clearance. This is a true 4 link , no track bar so the axle stay's in the middle of the truck , not moving from side to side like a stock Bronco does .

The goal was to make the D 60 look stock at first glance . It's more street legal If you have to drive on the street to get to the trail head the cop's will ticket a buggy long before a stock width truck

Jay

OP
OP
rhinobuggie

rhinobuggie

I know the steering knuckle is heavier on 78-79 . But looking at a 44 next to the 86 D60 I have , the 60 is huge , and guy's run 44's with the stock Bronco D44 and it live's . A fully built Bronco weights about 2k to 3k less than a stock F350 .

Jay

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
does anybody know why the 80 to 85 dana 60 is undisierable, just wondering cause one is close to me, for sale. Rhino buggie looks good

Pumpkin is in the center of the axle , maybe ..... also
when did they switch from king pins to ball joints , 80 ? I think , which is why the 78 & 79 are most desired.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
does anybody know why the 80 to 85 dana 60 is undisierable, just wondering cause one is close to me, for sale. Rhino buggie looks good

They are not "undesirable" - I've got a 90' under mine, no difference from my father's 86' either. D60's are just huge, when you see one in person next to a D44 there is no going back. All this 78-79 bullsh!t that flies around making the installs easier is just that - %)

You CAN fit c wedges on a 80'+ axle, but most people who swap to a D60 will not be using the factory arm setup unless you have exsisting Cage arms, but that is easily fixed by purchasing the weld on brackets that bolt to the arms.

As for balljoints - these axles were designed to survive under a diesel truck, people don't complain about having balljoints in a D44, so what is the big deal about 1 ton balljoints? The only real disadvantage is the lack of easy high-steer. I've got a newer D60 with balljoints and unit bearing's I'm building - changing an axle shaft will be a piece of cake with only 4 nuts and 2 bolts to get the shaft out after the wheel is off... As for the bolt spacing - easily fixed by popping out the studs, drilling your own pattern and popping them back in - there is a lot of room on the flange to either leave the old holes or weld them up, machine flat and put your new pattern of choice back on.

OP
OP
rhinobuggie

rhinobuggie

If you want to run C wedges the leaf spring mount on the driverside would have to be ground off or the C wedge would have to cut to fit . I think the center housing is like 3 inches more to the center of the axle on a 78-79 . I went 4 link so no problems there. This axle has king pins yet , I think 90 was the change to ball joint's

Jay

OX1

Bronco Guru

Ford did not put a D60 front from 80-85 in f350'S, they used the TTB D50.

Last edited:

OX1

Bronco Guru
F250 had TTB F350's have alway had Straight axle's
This link should help http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/tech/0501_4wd_dana_60/index.html

Jay

From that link...........

"The Dana 50 monobeam front axle went under most Ford 1/2-ton pickups from the early-'80s to present."

Thats funny.......Most FSBers from 80 on up WISH they had solid front D50 instead of the TTB D44.

Anyway, there was NO D60 front from 80-85 in F350's.

http://blueovaltrucks.com/tech/SAS_F-250_F-350.htm

"TK4551 1983-1998 F250 and 1980-1985 F350 with Model 50 Twin Traction Beam IFS Front Axle. "

http://quad4x4.com/Ford Front Axle & Steering .htm

http://www.dieselbombers.com/ford-truck-powerstroke-turbo-diesel-forum/6858-ford-front-axles.html

http://store.topguncustomz.com/stor...l.aspx?sid=1&sfid=134402&c=826703&i=244793832

http://www.offroadunlimited.com/orustore/PC/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=11729

"This axle stayed the same until it was replaced by the Dana 50 IFS in 1980. The Dana 60 reappeared in the front during 1985 under the F250 / F350. "

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44_2.htm

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
As for balljoints - these axles were designed to survive under a diesel truck, people don't complain about having balljoints in a D44, so what is the big deal about 1 ton balljoints? The only real disadvantage is the lack of easy high-steer.

That's the only disadvantage? I'd argue that point. While those axles were designed to survive under a heavy truck, the ball joints and unit bearings were NOT designed for extreme rock crawling with 40" and bigger tires. Way different application.

Personally I wouldn't even consider a ball joint, unit bearing, D60 for my rig.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
That's the only disadvantage? I'd argue that point. While those axles were designed to survive under a heavy truck, the ball joints and unit bearings were NOT designed for extreme rock crawling with 40" and bigger tires. Way different application.

Personally I wouldn't even consider a ball joint, unit bearing, D60 for my rig.

Unit bearings are fine - ever heard of Spidertrax? Ball-joints can handle the abuse as well - they survive under juiced up diesels on 38's pounding pavement, more-so under a lightweight crawler.

It may not work for you - but here is damn near no different in housing strength, unit bearings are easier to work with and BJ's hold up just fine. If you want piece of mind, replace them with the u-joints before you wheel it - they will outlast your worries.

BJ D60's are more affordable, are newer and won't require heavy rebuilds like the older axles do. The after market is there for these axles - take advantage of it.

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
4-linked front Bronco? holy Jealous Batman!!

I would love to hear more about the design, link points on the frame, axle mounts, etc.

awesome - nice work.

do you drive it on the highway?