• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wheel width for 33x12.50-15 ??

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What size wheel is best for 33x12.50-15's ?
If I later go up to 35's can you still use the same wheel?

Thanks in advance..

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
15x10 for mostly street running
15x8 for wheeling

yes, you can keep the rims for 35x12.50x15

Hogback

the tires will fit either 8 or 10 wide. the tires will stick out further on the 8's, thus offering more rim protection from rocks, curbs, etc. plus they are less likely to spin in the rim while running lower air pressure.

cbfomoco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WV
i have heard if you run anything wider than a 10.50 on an 8 inch it will bulge and wear only down the middle?? Is that right??

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Normally, no. Not if you adjust your air pressure accordingly. BUT, there are always exceptions of course. Other memebers here I believe have said that they experienced wierd wear and handling characteristics, but I never have. And most of the tire manufacturers list 8" through 10" as optimum for their 12.5" wide tires so I'm sure it's not a common problem or they wouldn't list it as an appropriate combination.
There is really no discernible difference in tire height with the different rim widths, and it's hard to measure any difference in overall tire width either. The main difference is not that the tire actually bulges out on the narrower rim, but that the rim is narrower, causing the tire's bead to roll in slightly, making it visually "bulge" out, keeping the rim's edge farther in and better protected from rock damage.
I ran a set of 35x12.50 General Grabber M/T's on 15x8 wheels on an IFS full-size truck with 6" of lift and got 67,000 miles out of them and they handled great. I would've gotten more from a tread-wear perspective, but they finally started pulling and following too many road grooves so I got a new set even though they had quite a bit of tread left.
So as far as wear is concerned, "every truck is different!".

Paul

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I run 33X12.50's on 8 inch wheel and have no problems so far. These were on my other Bronco for about a year and a half untill I got this truck done. They do not wear funny at all. They don't really bulge out so they look ugly or anything. I have 30 psi in them and they seem strange with power steering ( maybe twitchy is the word I'm looking for ) but when I had no power steering they were nice. The ride seems softer too with 30 pounds. But as for wear, like I said they are wearing just fine and this is the second truck they have been on.

Attachments

• tat2.jpg
    tat2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 52