• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Speedometer Question

Schenkapotomus

Loc.
Covington, WA
Kevin of Classy Chassis Restorations did a phenomenal job refurbishing my cluster. I just drove the Bronco for the first time and the odometer works, but not the speedometer. I opened it up and poked around and spun the unit with my drill. Speedometer and odometer both working. My drill spins at 32MPH in case you need to know that.

Put it all back together and tested again to make sure it still works - yep.

Installed back in Bronco and again, the odometer works but not the speedometer.

Any ideas?

LTL4life

Loc.
The FROZEN TURDRA
Did it work before? What shape is the cable in? Try putting some graphite lube down the cable and make sure the end is fully into the speedo head.

OP
OP
Schenkapotomus

Schenkapotomus

Loc.
Covington, WA
Did it work before? What shape is the cable in? Try putting some graphite lube down the cable and make sure the end is fully into the speedo head.

The cable is new and this is the first time since being rebuilt. It worked prior to the rebuild on a different cable.

does the fitting on the cable get fully seated to the speedometer?

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Sounds like your gear might be the prob? Or try the old cable?? I would only snug the fitting up hand tight at the speedo..

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
try loosening the cable up so it's not as deep into the speedo head. some of the replacement cables are a tad long and need to trim 1/8" off the core.

OP
OP
Schenkapotomus

Schenkapotomus

Loc.
Covington, WA
try loosening the cable up so it's not as deep into the speedo head. some of the replacement cables are a tad long and need to trim 1/8" off the core.

I can understand the speedo working and odometer not. but not the other way around. They both work off of the cable. I trimmed a bit off the end of the cable and shoved it back in. As far as seating - I was not referring to the nut that holds the cable on, but rather there is a flange of some sort on the cable itself. For me, this does not seat against the speedometer but is rather 1/8" out, unless the nut seats it.

Will drive it again tomorrow.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
you can pull the head back out, open it up and check the tooth engagement of the odo unit.
these things are finicky

OP
OP
Schenkapotomus

Schenkapotomus

Loc.
Covington, WA
I can understand the speedo working and odometer not. but not the other way around. They both work off of the cable. I trimmed a bit off the end of the cable and shoved it back in. As far as seating - I was not referring to the nut that holds the cable on, but rather there is a flange of some sort on the cable itself. For me, this does not seat against the speedometer but is rather 1/8" out, unless the nut seats it.

Will drive it again tomorrow.

I trimmed 1/8" off the cable and it finally fits properly into the gauge. I removed the cable from the transfer case and spun the cable with the gear in place with my drill. Both speedo and odometer are working. This is a new gear and rebuild transfer case.

Reinstalled and drove around the block and I only get odometer. The gear seems fully inserted to the transfer case, what gives?

OP
OP
Schenkapotomus

Schenkapotomus

Loc.
Covington, WA
I trimmed 1/8" off the cable and it finally fits properly into the gauge. I removed the cable from the transfer case and spun the cable with the gear in place with my drill. Both speedo and odometer are working. This is a new gear and rebuild transfer case.

Reinstalled and drove around the block and I only get odometer. The gear seems fully inserted to the transfer case, what gives?

Further info - I put the original cable back in with the original gear - it does seat better to the transfer case. I can't spin the cable by hand when it is in the TC so I know the gear is engaged. I can make speedo/odo work with the gear end of the cable chocked in my drill so I know the cable is fully inserted to the gauge. But still only odo when I drive it around.

No one has a clue?

OP
OP
Schenkapotomus

Schenkapotomus

Loc.
Covington, WA
Solved!

it was the clock spring on the back of the speedometer that returns the needle to 0. It was 1/2 turn too tight. If I had gotten the Bronco up to about 70 MPH it would have registered about 10MPH. Now just need to find the sweet spot on tension to get it as accurate as possible.