• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil pan removal

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
I have a leak and need to change the oil pan gasket. Can the pan be fully removed? I have a 76, 302 and C4.

Fred

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
With mine, I can put the frame on jack stands, remove the driver's front tire, and lower the axle almost to the floor. This gives me enough room to angle the pan out. At least that's how I remember doing it. Does that make sense?

70_Steve

Old Guy
Same as the other guys. Much easier if you jack up the frame to let the front differential hang down a bit.

The one piece gaskets are a little easier to install and seem to seal more reliably than the other gaskets. Still put a dab of RTV in the corners. If you buy a one-piece, make sure the kit includes the little clips to hold the gasket in place. I bought a FMS gasket and had to use little tie-wraps to hold the gasket in place until I got a couple bolts started.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Take the weight off the front springs by jacking it up, and you should be able to maneuver the pan out around the front differential. I was able to do it with a Dana 30 and 2-1/2" lift with a fair amount of room left over.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If you have a 3.5in lift it will come right out. other wise you may need to jack up the frame a little like the others said.

OP
OP
gnsteam

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Thanks everyone! I was hoping it would come completely out. And thanks 70 Steve for suggesting the one piece gaskets.

Fred

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
So you guy's had good luck with those one piece gaskets. The reason I'am asking is I assembled my new engine in March used a one piece gasket with RTV in the corners, filled oil filter +2 qts of oil then prime engine brought it home set it up on the engine stand while I got other things taken care of and it been seeping oil from between the timing cover and oil pan gasket ever sence. The part thats got me spoofed is there only 2qts in the pan,it can't even be close to that level.