• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Who has the biggest gas Tank in their EB? Post Cap. and pics looking for customs?

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Interested in specs, dimensions and pics, if you have made a larger than vendor available hi capacity rear tank. Planning on eliminating the saddle tank, and my flowmaster mufflers are going under the seat areas. Lets see them!

Last edited:

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is a mufflet a smaller version of a muffler?

Sorry, I've wondered why 23 gallons was the magic number as well.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
You're lucky it didn't say mullet:eek: I am going to pull the tank and do a cardboard mock up. Will make it fill every space available even if it has more contours than the vendors tanks, plus I want Stainless Steel and won't pay their exuberant prices for one. I would love the added mileage of the saddle tank /saddle tanks, but the Oh So Sweet Sweet sound of new Flowmasters rumbling under our seats and the whining of the Pete Jackson Geardrive waking up my useless neighbors in the early AM hours is priceless and worth the loss of the saddles;D Yup I'm that Guy%)

Attachments

• FlowMASTERS1.jpg
    FlowMASTERS1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 108

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
.... I've wondered why 23 gallons was the magic number as well.

Above the tank, is the bed. In front of the tank, is a cross member and the rear end. Behind the tank, is the bumper. So unless you sacrifice a bunch of ground clearance, I don't know where you're going to gain much more capacity.

Keep us posted Mo. I'm sure you can make a SS tank, but to get more than 25 gallons in it will be a trick.

Mark

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Well I have the 3" BL so I will use that for sure and if I have to make accommodations you know I will. This is going to be more of a trailer hauler, beach camper DD so the tank may hang a bit, although I will not make it a complete box like so many Prostreets I see, it will have a contour and a skidplate for sure though. Hell I need to be able to make it to LA at least from Fresno before refueling. My aim was SD but alas that may be a pipe dream without saddles. Gonna rename this post.

Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I have the 23 gallon NWMP tank along with the stock auxiliary tank which I modified to hold 10 gallons. I also have a five gallon can on the back.

I drove from here to Moab without stopping for gas, 350 miles. I still had half of the main tank when I got there. 16.5 mpg

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
23gal NWMP main and 10 gal stock aux here as well and my mufflers run under the seats. i think theres someone running a homebuilt 33 gal tank and that may work out with your body lift.
Before I had a suspension lift I would reguarly drag my rear tank when offroad and Im not talking extreme stuff just mild stuff. With the 2.5in lift I dont think I have dragged it once. So overall I really cant see adding a much bigger tank even witrh a 3in body lift.
I have some 23gal tank plans somewhere you could easily mody them to your liking.

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
but the Oh So Sweet Sweet sound of new Flowmasters rumbling under our seats and the whining of the Pete Jackson Geardrive waking up my useless neighbors in the early AM hours is priceless and worth the loss of the saddles;D Yup I'm that Guy%)

I loved this... I am running flow 40s with my 347 and the neighbors know when I am up on the weekends- cuz I am that guy too!! Doesn't help that 60%+ of my neighborhood are retirees!

Not much to add to this thread other than what is NWMP?

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
THX BRNCNAZ, if you can send pics or a file of it that would be perfect, I will play it and the cardboard I got to mock it up. I think I can come up with a good and HD enough skidplate that I wont have to worry too much about draggin', besides I am looking for Range really. Now I want a picture of how the muffler is placed under the seat while running saddle tanks, I mean both side not just the passenger side? I also will be running them flat not at an angle tucked in like I have seen some do.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Viper if I had EFI I think that would make a world of difference as far as economy. Are your engine specs pretty stock ie cam and curve. I have not had this out on a trip to get it dialed in, but since it's carbed I don't think it will be anywhere close to the 16.5mpg you quoted. I plan on installing the NOS Cagle FPR when I am dialed though. I have heard that along with it running way better at altitude it helped bring the miles up too. I plan on the next build to do a 6spd which has been my dream since before there were 6spds. I think that would really bring it to real modern day mileage numbers.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
26.5 Gal, Used the pattern for the 23 gal. and just changed the lower rear dimensions a little. Made from 16ga stainless.
IMG00390-20100512-0827.jpg

DSCF0044Medium.jpg

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
That is sweet Rev. you didn't keep the dimensions by chance? Any more pics of the rear ? maybe for comparisons sakes, maybe even with a ruler to show clearances?

Last edited:

BRONCOBERT

I have the 23 gallon NWMP and side tank, do you guys running the 23 gallon tank add the fuel cell safety foam?

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
I found a receipt from the PO where he installed a BC tank...it says 25 gals. This was from around 2001 or so.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

svobronco

Contributor
I made my own. It's in the neighborhood of 20-21gal. I got tired of ripping my low-hanging 23gal tank out on rocks. It's even with the the bottom of rear x-member. The bottom plate is 3/16" and the rest is 11ga. 2 baffles front to rear and 1 side to side.
Even with it pulled up this high, I've still hit it a few times. And the rear seat fits back in with slight modifications.
dscn0059rqf.jpg
dscn0061xq.jpg
dscn0062gn.jpg

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
I think you were dragging your tank cause you have that spool in the back!
I actually looked at the same design, but since this is more of a daily do it all build I thought the wife would take exception to having the tank protrude into the cabin. What are people doing for the fuel gauge? What is successfully being used to give an accurate reading. What are you doing as far as a return line and do I really need it, I would also like to rid myself of the vapor canister in the cabin, whats the best way to plumb the system? Lots of questions my have to have this moved to the tech section, but let see what we get. Anyone have a large tank that hasn't been installed and would post dimensions?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Ok here you go. some basic plans cant remember where I got them. I've never built this tank but I would do some updates if I was going to build it myself considering some of the newer mounting ideas that are floating around and possible intake fuel pumps ect.
Also included a pic of my mufflers running under the aux tank. I have fenderwell headers and they clear fine. while you do lose a little ground clearance its no big deal unless you plan on doing some hardcore stuff.

Attachments

• Gastank1.pdf
    90.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Gastank2.pdf
    91.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_0505.jpg
    100_0505.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 59

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I found a receipt from the PO where he installed a BC tank...it says 25 gals. This was from around 2001 or so.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
When designing our tank I measured the frams of 7 EBs and made the tank to just clear the smallest of them and it was 25 gals. Of the first 10 I shipped two would not fit between the frames so I cut it down 1 gal. to 24. Then I had a guy call to complain that he could only get 23.5 gals in. Not sure why I can dump a little over 24.5 gals but changed the paper work to 23 gals. My tank uses unistrut which takes up near 1" on each side. When you make a tank for yourself don't use others measurements, measure your frame and make it as big as you can. You can use a L bracket instead of unistrut and make the tank wider. I can't custom make tanks so have to make a 1 size fits all but you are making 1.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
THX Chuck we got your tank for my bro in law a few years back with the UNI. Mines going to have L brackets. I am getting others dimensions to see how close I am with mine. I know that one dimension will not fit all EB's especially with how people center the body on the mounts and relation to frame etc etc. Want to see how far people have pushed it without having to build too many cardboard cutouts. I want to get this thing on the road and the less RR I have to do when it has already been done, the better. Can I use one of your sending units/floats for mine or can it be modified to work with a different tank(bigger)?