• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

dana 44 swap

66broncoCT

Contributor
Loc.
Torrington, CT
Hi guys,
A local shop has an EB dana 44 he tries to sell me every time I go in. I finally caved and asked him the price and its $350 for the axle and everything off a full size 44 for the disc brake swap. Seems like a good deal to me. What else would I need to put this under my 66? I think I need the tapered bushings BC Brocnos sells to use my existing steering right? Its the 3 way adjustable from Bronco Graveyard and only about a year old so I'd like to keep it if possible.

OP
OP
66broncoCT

66broncoCT

Contributor
Loc.
Torrington, CT
It's a drum brake 44 so earlier then 76-77 I'm assuming. And no idea what year the full width axle the brakes are coming from is out of.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
The full size 150 knuckle is different than the bronco. steering has a bigger taper rod end and the steering arm is in a different place I think its wider.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think you had it pretty much correct. If it's an EB housing, it's going to fit an EB directly. If it's the full size knuckles from a '76-'79 truck, they bolt right in from the ball-joints outward, and all you need is the tapered sleeves you mentioned (we have them as well) to let your existing tie rod ends fit. If you ever need to replace the rod ends, you can update them to those with the larger taper so you won't need the shims/sleeves.
You'll also need the proper brake hoses to adapt the calipers to the existing EB hard lines (if they're still on the axle housing?), but that's easy. We have them in braided: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/76-79_Caliper_Hose_to_3-16_Inverted_Flare/Bronco_Brake_Hoses or you can use stock rubber ones from certain Ford trucks.
Or if there are no hard lines, you can simply use the '76/'77 hard lines and soft hoses. Makes future replacement perhaps a tiny bit easier.

One advantage of the Ford disc setup is the larger register bore that allows the use of the larger heavy-duty axle upgrades with the bigger u-joints. You no longer have to remove the knuckle to install them.

Obviously you will have to verify the gear ratio as well, and match to your rear if needed.

Depending on if you have a suspension lift, this is your chance to upgrade the C-bushings if you have not already. Otherwise you can use the same ones you have now if they're in good shape.

All this begs the question though, of what you are going to be doing with your Bronco and what size tires you're running.
The bottom line is that the 44 is stronger than the 30, but the other half of that bottom line is that you don't need a 44 if your use doesn't dictate that.
So while that is a very decent deal I'd say, you can also save all of your money if you don't really need a 44.

Paul

OP
OP
66broncoCT

66broncoCT

Contributor
Loc.
Torrington, CT
Truck has 33" tires might step it up to 35" at some point but not anytime soon. Used as a weekend driver with probably 40% of the time off-road but nothing super technical. I probably would never break the 30, but I want disc brakes and my 30 has something going on; its got a lot of positive camber and rebuilding the kingpins didn't seem to help. So I figured this 44 would be about the same price as adding discs to my 30 as long as there were no "gotchas" I was missing.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like a great reason to grab a 44 then!
Like you say though, as long as it turns out to be as-advertised and in good shape. Definitely has some advantages.

Good luck.

Paul