• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help a brother out!

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I missed the previous thread.

We bought that Bronco as the 3rd owner, from a fellow Bronco enthusiast we know locally who bought it from Mark's grandmother.

That Bronco was sold just before the market really exploded. The person we bought it from paid $3500, which was a good deal, but still not unheard of then.

He called me up and said he had someone who wanted to buy it and made him an offer on it and wanted my opinion if it was a fair offer. I told him it was, but that I was interesated and would beat that offer, so we went over that night and got it for $7K.

We drove it a bit and showed it for a couple years along with the 77 Ranger we also had. We then decided we really did not need two nearly identical Broncos, and decided to sell it so we could get an enclosed trailer to haul our Broncos and fund some other projects.

We sold it at one of the Carlisle All-Ford shows to a collector from KS who said he flies in each year and buys a car and drives it home, as he did with this one. I think my dad sold it for $14,500, which I was pissed about since I insisted he ask more since I knew the market was really starting to take off. I think I could have got $20-22K for it then which would have gone alot further to finance future projects. Now days it would be a $35-$45K survivor. The running boards and aftermarket wheels were removed when we bought and sold it, so it was 100% stock, and very clean and well documented.

Mark contacted me a few years ago and I put him in contact with the buyer in KS. As I recall, the ironic part was that Mark had recently lived in the same town in KS and worked just a couple blocks from the company owned/run by the person we sold it to!

I was afraid that Mark would not understand that the Bronco was now worth MUCH more than what his grandmother sold it for, just prior to the Early Bronco market really taking off and prices going up far from where they were just a few years prior, and I think I mentioned that to him as well as what it had been bought and sold for.

I do not have many pics of that Bronco, but do have one of it being shown at Carlisle next to the nearly identical 77 Ranger which we sold last year. I will have to see if I can locate that pic or any other of it.

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Somehow i knew you would know about it....should of just asked first! you have the coolest stories! :)

CLK Foxhall

About what year(s) did the market start to rise, on the prices/values of EBs

TIA!
~CLK

Broncitis

MEB Founder
About what year(s) did the market start to rise, on the prices/values of EBs

TIA!
~CLK

They have been rising steadily over the last 10 years. Right before the economy took a dive, they were headed very high, then cooled off or leveled, and have started to climb again.

I used to get calls wanting to sell me $300-$500 parts Broncos every week. Those days are long gone for anything that is remotely usable for good parts.

When we paid $7K for the Bronco in question, most non-Bronco people would think that was way too much, but I knew it was worth more than that and would only go up in value. The 2nd owner got a very good deal, but not one that was totally unheard of then. I actually ran into him at the Hershey show last month and chatted with him a bit. He still has another Bronco (sold a couple of his others as well), but life changed and he built a huge new shop, so he had to sell off some of the toys.

Knowing the Bronco well, I would say it was possibly the nicest survivor Broncos I have seen (certainly in the top 5). For those of you who are familiar with our 77 Ranger, it was as nice, but just with a couple tiny nicks in the paint and a few scuffs on the top of the rear seat, and under the hood was not quite a spotless as our 77, but it was all stock, all there, and very clean for a survivor. Easily a $35-$45K rig in today's market if marketed correctly or sold at the right auction.

One other oddity about this is that in the Hemmings story and his previous post on CB, he said it was a manual transmission. I thought it was an auto, but was not 100% sure since I did not drive it much and we have had a lot of Broncos over the years.

I asked my dad, and he is certain it was an auto. I am confident that the person we bought it from did not convert it, and that it was 100% as he bought it other than he might have taken off the running boards and put the correct wheels and hubcaps back on. I will call Mike to ask him.

My dad said he also recalls there being holes in the lip of the fenders where the mud flaps were installed.

Last edited:

bronco1017

This was his post on March 20.

I found it!!

My hard work and the extremely nice folks of Vermont led me to finally tracking it down yesterday. I can’t wait for the current owner to send me pictures tonight.

Thanks to all the comments of support and Nate, if I get it back you’ll be one of the first people I take for a spin.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
This guy already found his grandpa's Bronco. He was bummed because someone has cut it and it does not look like what he remembers. The owner wants $35,000 for it.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
This guy already found his grandpa's Bronco. He was bummed because someone has cut it and it does not look like what he remembers. The owner wants $35,000 for it.

Is it for sale, or that's just the price he told the guy to get it back?

bronco1017

Ouch!!!!! I guess that wasn't how he envisioned it working out. Too bad but he can thank Grandpa for his love of Bronco's.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
Here it is:
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221532&highlight=grandpas+bronco

$35,000 is asking price by current owner. He said he is looking to sell it this spring. That is nowhere near what I can afford. So hopefully this go round I will keep better tabs on it and maybe years down the road God will bless me with the funds to buy it back.

The cool thing of all of this is in May I'm heading back to PA from Colorado and I talked to my Grandma, (if the current owner hasn't sold it) she and I are going to road trip together and go see it. Just Grandma and Grandson road-trippin' to Vermont. I know it would mean the world to her in remembrance of the man she would have been married to for 60 years this year, and I know (Bronco or not) that I will cherish the road-trip memories with my Grandma more than the sheet metal ever could.