• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to remove old bed liner?

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Has anyone found a product or method that removes roll on bed liner? I am thinking about stripping a tub and need this old roll on Herculiner type stuff off. Chemical to desolve it? ? Blasting it? Any hints?

Thanks Much,

Blue71

72Sport

Bronco Guru
I don't know where I saw it but somewhere I read to use oven cleaner. I remember the post or article said don't buy the cheap stuff because it won't work. It was not Easy Off. I think it started with an M. Something like Miracle or Muscle oven cleaner. I thought I saved a copy of the post but I can't find it.
Maybe someone will chime in with the right name.

rutwad

varnish remover. I believe that's what it was. The same stuff my wife used to strip our wood furniture. Get it in gel so that is sticks to the sides better. Let it sit about 10-15 minutes, and it scrapes right of!

tobinj

Loc.
Martinsburg, WV
I own a spray on liner business and have found that a wood chisel is about the best, get it started under it and gently tap it and you can get it off in strips. Use MEK to clean up residue afterwards, the roll on stuff can be difficult no matter what you use but as far as my experience the chisel has been best you just have to be careful as you go. The stripper will work on it sometimes it just depends on how thick it is and well it was applied. Oh and careful on your edges they can chip fairly easy and dont use an expensive chisel as it will be worthless when you are done. Havent tried the Varnish remover but I will next time might be a little easier

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
You can also let the MEK soften up the bedliner first, then it will scrape off, just make sure you have PLENTY of ventilation if you use MEK, its some pretty nasty stuff, but it will get the job done

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for all the advise. I will let you know what I use and how it works out. Keep'em comin guys:)

Thanks Much,

Blue71