• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trying to make trail rig streetable!

Gidge768

Loc.
Wappingers Falls Ny
Hello CB,

just have a few lighting questions. Someone kind of butchered my lights and im trying to figure them out. Pretty sure the wires im looking at arent factory as well. First question would be is there a relay that the turn signal wire and brake light wire get connected to so that when the breaks are on and a turn signal is on it dosen't cancel one out? I tried to connect the brake and turn signals together and didn't have any luck. My other question would be is anyone familiar with where the reverse light switch would be mounted with a NV 4500 transmission? Thanks again for all the help.

OP
OP
Gidge768

Gidge768

Loc.
Wappingers Falls Ny
I noticed that the flasher box used for my turn signals only has 2 connectors to it so I was kind of thinking that the flasher box is for my hazards and that there might be another flasher box with more connectors or something like that. Please help if you can?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
There are no relays for the flasher/stop light. The wiring for them is basically in the steering column. the turn signal switch controls the power flow to the brake lights and turn signal. Now there are 2 flasher relays one for the turn signals the other for the hazards. but if the wiring in the column is messed up they wont work.

Your reverse light switch should be on the drivers side of the trans up top near shifter

OP
OP
Gidge768

Gidge768

Loc.
Wappingers Falls Ny
Broncnaz, My steering column is all by passed so I have a toggle switch for turn signals. Do both flasher relays have 2 terminals or are they different? The stock tail light buckets only have the main dual filament bulb which has 2 wires coming out and the reverse single filament. I tried to put the wire that works turn signal to the wire that works break. Issue there is when you step on the breaks you can hear the flasher blinking. Right now the person before me wired the reverse lights as turn signals..

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yes both flasher relays have 2 terminals.
Hard to tell you what to do here as I would think you would need a specail toggle switch to make things work right. You'd be better off getting a aftermarket turn signal switch.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
One of the tricks I have seen (mainly on UTVs) to get turn signals without a real turn signal switch, use a trailer light convertor box for newer cars with seperate brake and turn. They make combined brake and turn for the trailer, just wire that into the tail lights instead of the trailer

Now you can feed switched power into the turn signal can, blinking power comes out and to the center of a double throw denter off toggle switch. Each leg of the switch now feeds the front turn signal bulbs and the trailer light convertor.

Sure beats a crappy aftermarket turn signal switch. But not as good as simply rebuilding the column with a proper turn signal switch and wiring.

Hazards can be done with either a 3-pole switch (one each for left, right and brake signals). With the convertor it can be done with a double pole switch turning on both turn signals at the same time. I have also been known to use a single pole switch and feed power through diodes to the circuits. This keeps them from backfeeding during normal use.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I agree redoing the stock column would be your best bet. But if you dont go that route. Grote aftermarket turn signal switches are about the best and will attach to most steering columns. NAPA will have them.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
The turn & hazard flashers aren't relays; they're more like circuit breakers that are designed to overload, trip, & reset on a preset schedule.

The stock turn/hazard switch is complex because it's designed to allow the brakes, turns, & hazards all to work on the SAME filament in each bulb. If you separate turn/hazard from brakes (like some recent GM trucks), it gets MUCH simpler. But adding bulbs to the back of your Bronco might not look right. A full custom LED conversion could be built to fit the original tallight lenses, and give you that functionality.

If you ever plan to tow a trailer, you'll either have to custom-wire the trailer lights to match your truck, or you'd need a common taillight converter box to recombine brake/turn circuits.

OP
OP
Gidge768

Gidge768

Loc.
Wappingers Falls Ny
This is a big help, thank you everyone

Next step, does anyone know? On the NV4500 there is a reverse switch on the top with 2 wires. do I feed power to those wires or ground? Thanks again!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It doesn't matter which wire is the in and out.
Switched power (ignition switched that is) goes to one wire.
The other wire goes to the lights.

The reverse lights are already grounded to the tail light buckets so you have to set the switch up to control the positive side.

OP
OP
Gidge768

Gidge768

Loc.
Wappingers Falls Ny
After some thought I kind of figured that out on my own..lol but that just double confirms that. Thanks again Broncobowsher for the assistance.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Originally Posted by Gidge768
It seems you really know your wiring. I bought my 69 and the Po used it mostly as a trail rig. Ive been working on the lights to make her street legal. Right now I have everything except my 4 way flashers and reverse lights.

For the reverse lights I think I have that figured out. just have to change switch and plug and wire a power through the switch on the nv4500 back to the bulbs.

For flashers, I did for the time being add a set of turn signals lights using flush mount led trailer tail lights. I guess mostly cause it was the easy way out for the time being. Would like to change that back to stock at one point.

Ok back to flashers. I just bought a new clasher switch and flasher. I noticed the switch has 4 prongs on the rear for wires. Could you please help me we this one or do you buy chance have a drawing I could follow to get wired right? If it is better to switch back to the original turn signals in the rear then I guess now would be the time to do it as well. Any help would be awesome. Im pretty sure I dont have any stock wires so fare so im afraid the colors are useless.

thanks again for any help you might have
Sean

Nothing wrong with the stock lights as long as everything is wired well.

The '66-'73 hazard switch has 4 terminals. One is from the hazard flasher (pulsed 12V), one from each front turn signal wire, and the brake light wire (after it goes through brake switch, 12V with brake on). When the haz sw is on it simply connects all these together. The haz flasher will see the current load from the 6 bulbs and that will cause it to turn on and off.

Attachments

• 72_turn_hazard.gif
    72_turn_hazard.gif
    36 KB · Views: 17

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...I tried to put the wire that works turn signal to the wire that works break. Issue there is when you step on the breaks you can hear the flasher blinking.,.

It sounds like you've got it mostly figured at least, with the other's help. But I wanted to go back and touch on this in case it came up again.
The two wires are not for brake and turn separately.
One wire works the low power filament for the tail light.
One wire works the high power filament that is both the brake and turn light.

In other words, one dual-filament bulb does three functions. Since the brake and turn function is from one filament, fed by one wire, it's the turn-signal switch in the column that does the isolating duties. Like was said already.

Regarding the backup lamp switch on the transmission, all the NV4500 switches I've seen use a "reversed" version of a standard 2-prong Weatherpack connector.
So the best ways to make it work are to either buy the correct switch connector, or make your own using the individual components readily available on the electrical rack at most auto parts stores.

I can't remember which way it goes, so you'll have to look if you're going to make your own. But I'm thinking it's the outer housing for the female type connectors, but with the male connectors used instead.
Don't hold me to that, as it's been awhile. But it's an easy combination to see if you look at it.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
Gidge768

Gidge768

Loc.
Wappingers Falls Ny
Hey ViperWolf,

In the diagram it shows the upper turn signal switch and it seems like there might be more then a few prongs on it? Right now im using a 3 position toggle switch with 3 prongs on the back. Right side is right turn front and rear, center is from the flasher, and left side for left turns. Remember that at the moment im not using the tail lights as turns in the rear.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Hey ViperWolf,

In the diagram it shows the upper turn signal switch and it seems like there might be more then a few prongs on it? Right now im using a 3 position toggle switch with 3 prongs on the back. Right side is right turn front and rear, center is from the flasher, and left side for left turns. Remember that at the moment im not using the tail lights as turns in the rear.

Ok. So brake lights are separate lights?

In that case you can have front and rear turns on the same terminal and skip the brake light terminal. Haz switch still connects the same except you don't need to connect to brake light wire.